xHCI sometimes crashes on startup

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gcvsa

xHCI sometimes crashes on startup

Post by gcvsa »

I'm running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit on a brand-new Dell Inspiron i3137-3751sLV, and having a few intermittent problems:

System:
Dell Inspiron i3137-3571sLV, purchased new October 2014, Intel Celeron 2955U (Haswell), 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, UEFI boot, no swap
Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit, built from the v2 ISO image, with all current updates as at Saturday, October 25, 2014

Kernel:
3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1. Frequently locks up at Login Screen, doesn't seem to leave any evidence in the log, in fact that entire boot cycle doesn't even seem to register in the system log.

2. Frequently experiences crash of xHCI on startup, kills entire USB subsystem
Output from dmesg when xHCI crashes:
[ 9.779926] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 41 at /build/buildd/linux-3.13.0/drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:1572 handle_cmd_completion+0xe2a/0xe40()

May sometimes have to hardware power off machine and/or restart as many as four times, or more, before all systems come up reliably. Once the system is completely up and running, it's perfectly stable. All of the problems happen at startup, before I even get a chance to log in. I really don't understand why when I boot the machine, even though it locks up, when I restart and eventually log in, there is no evidence of the failed boot cycle anywhere in the system logs?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: xHCI sometimes crashes on startup

Post by JeremyB »

gcvsa wrote:I'm running Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit on a brand-new Dell Inspiron i3137-3751sLV, and having a few intermittent problems:

System:
Dell Inspiron i3137-3571sLV, purchased new October 2014, Intel Celeron 2955U (Haswell), 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, UEFI boot, no swap
Linux Mint 17 Qiana Cinnamon 64-bit, built from the v2 ISO image, with all current updates as at Saturday, October 25, 2014

Kernel:
3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1. Frequently locks up at Login Screen, doesn't seem to leave any evidence in the log, in fact that entire boot cycle doesn't even seem to register in the system log.

2. Frequently experiences crash of xHCI on startup, kills entire USB subsystem
Output from dmesg when xHCI crashes:
[ 9.779926] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 41 at /build/buildd/linux-3.13.0/drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:1572 handle_cmd_completion+0xe2a/0xe40()

May sometimes have to hardware power off machine and/or restart as many as four times, or more, before all systems come up reliably. Once the system is completely up and running, it's perfectly stable. All of the problems happen at startup, before I even get a chance to log in. I really don't understand why when I boot the machine, even though it locks up, when I restart and eventually log in, there is no evidence of the failed boot cycle anywhere in the system logs?!
If you use your file manager to go to /var/log/ you will see that there are archived logs there- usually from previous boots

You might want to update your kernel using the Mint Update Manager by clicking on View then Linux Kernels, 3.13.0-37 might still be the newest and might fix the problem
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

JeremyB wrote:[ 9.779926] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 41 at /build/buildd/linux-3.13.0/drivers/usb/host/xhci-ring.c:1572 handle_cmd_completion+0xe2a/0xe40()
That's a warning, unlikely this is the reason for the crash.

When you are in grub menu, you can press 'e' on the Linux entry line, then find a line starting with 'linux'. Towards the end you will see two words: 'quiet splash'. Remove them and press F10. This will allow you to see all messages of booting sequence and you should be able to see any error messages.

Also, post output of:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
gcvsa

Post by gcvsa »

JeremyB wrote:
If you use your file manager to go to /var/log/ you will see that there are archived logs there- usually from previous boots

You might want to update your kernel using the Mint Update Manager by clicking on View then Linux Kernels, 3.13.0-37 might still be the newest and might fix the problem
Thank you, but I know where the log files are stored, and I have examined all of them. There is no record whatsoever of that boot cycle, when the machine locks up at the login screen, once it has been power-cycled, booted successfuly, and logged in.

I have updated my kernel. The problem still exists.
gcvsa

Post by gcvsa »

niowluka wrote:Also, post output of:

inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: yumeko Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron 3137
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DJK6D version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A03 date: 10/21/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron 2955U (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5587.32 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Atheros usb-ID: 0cf3:0036
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 240.1GB (29.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 240.1GB temp: 25C 
Partition: ID: / size: 126G used: 6.9G (6%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 157 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 757.2/7893.0MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
gcvsa

Post by gcvsa »

Update: I've updated to Rebecca with kernel 3.13.0-37, and the problems continue. Works perfectly under Windows 8.1, btw. :(

I should probably also mention that these problems *never* happen when booting from the Live USB, either 17, 17v2, or 17.1, so clearly this is a driver or configuration issue, not a hardware problem.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: xHCI sometimes crashes on startup

Post by JeremyB »

gcvsa wrote:Update: I've updated to Rebecca with kernel 3.13.0-37, and the problems continue. Works perfectly under Windows 8.1, btw. :(

I should probably also mention that these problems *never* happen when booting from the Live USB, either 17, 17v2, or 17.1, so clearly this is a driver or configuration issue, not a hardware problem.
Does the wifi chipset have bluetooth also? If it does try this

echo "blacklist ath3k" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blue.conf

echo "blacklist btusb" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blue.conf
And see if the issue still happens.
gcvsa

Post by gcvsa »

OK, I did that, and shut down and restarted four times in a row, at least, with no problems, even though I left my Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500, iPhone 4S, and a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 stick plugged in, which usually is a guarantee that it will lock up. I don't know why the wireless kernel mods should have any effect on my USB stack, but I will continue to monitor this. Fortunately, I have no use for Bluetooth, at the moment.

For some reason, this also seems to have allowed my iPhone 4S to mount, running iOS 8.1.3? It shows up twice in the sidebar devices list in Nautilus, but only one of the listing works—still, that's better than it was. If it continues to run, I will call this a workaround, but not a fix, since it disables Bluetooth. Thank you for as much as this, anyway; it's a real improvement, so far.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Bluetooth devices usually are regarded as USB devices even when they are on wifi/bt combo cards. The question is, can you manually load ath3k a few minutes after booting and not have the crash? Try

sudo modprobe ath3k
to find out

Return to “Hardware Support”