Dual Monitors, with Geforce 7950x2

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Monitors, with Geforce 7950x2

Postby Sponge on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:28 am

Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I'm having a problem getting dual monitors to work with my Geforce 7950x2. I'm using the nVidia propriety drivers, and one widescreen (1680x1050) and one normal (1280x1024).

The standard mint Screen Resolution thing was no use, so I dug around a bit and found displayconfig-gtk. It shows two Screen 1 and one Screen 2, I deduced each Screen 1 represented each monitor, yet which one to use as my main monitor, after figuring which was my widescreen, with some effort got it to work and with full resolution (however having it set to plug'n'play monitor prevented me from choosing it's native resolution (and widescreen was ticked) so I chose a 1680x1050 LCD panel), so then I enabled screen 2, configured it to extend my desktop, set it to 1280x1024 LCD panel and selected 1280x1024 resolution for it. Applied changes and logged out and rebooted.

Then x-org failed to start and chucked me back to low graphics mode.

I'm stuck, really stuck, sometimes I have both monitors on, except the second is just a mass of colours, and when using the open source drivers the desktop is cloned between the two but no way to extend my desktop.

If theres anyone who has configured their Geforce 7950x2 to work, I would appreciate knowing how you did it, and if not, any pointers would be good.

Thanks in advance
Sponge

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Monitors, with Geforce 7950x2

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:59 am

You were on the right way - displayconfig-gtk is the tool (it's not in the menu due to some problems that made Ubuntu hide it and so did we)
If you installed the drivers with Envy you also got nvidia-settings (gksu nvidia-settings as this app should be root) and in there are settings for dual monitor
Perhaps you should add
Option "DynamicTwinView" "True"
in Section "Device" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in case nvidia-settings does not do that for you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support