Old Laptop CPU Speed Support

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Old Laptop CPU Speed Support

Postby CentaurHauler on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am

I put the new Mint 5 KDE on an old Dell C600, and for the most part it's working about as well as I can expect. However, I've got an odd problem under dynamic CPU freq control - it's trying to change the speed very often, and the machine hesitates badly whenever it changes speed. Everything works smoothly when fixed at low or high speed. Is there a parameter hidden in a file somewhere that would allow me to add a delay in the speed switching? I really don't need it to be quite so zealous in the speed control, but it would be nice if I could have it throttle down after a period of low CPU burden.

Thx!
CentaurHauler
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Old Laptop CPU Speed Support

Postby CentaurHauler on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:17 pm

I did some more searching, and it looks like this old Coppermine can't really do dynamic speed switching very well without losing data. I appears it was intended to run at low speed or at high speed, so I'll just set it up to run slower on batteries.

Funny, I still run an old AMD K6II+ that can smoothly change from 240MHz to 550MHz (and though several intermediate speeds) without skipping a beat under Kubuntu 7.04. Oh well, Intel eventually figured it out.
CentaurHauler
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support