Disk sleep/standby - Mint 17.1

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dib3000

Disk sleep/standby - Mint 17.1

Post by dib3000 »

I've recently moved from Ubuntu 10.04 to Mint 17.1 on my home server. This server has 9 disks, and so if these are spinning unnecessarily they are wasting around 50W in total (compared to around 20W for the rest of the system). Because of this, I need disks standby to be working properly.

On Ubuntu 10.04 I used hdparm manually in a script at startup, but looking at the disk utility in Mint 17, it can set both the APM level and standby timeout. This does set the values correctly, but it doesn't persist between reboots. Is this expected behaviour?

Another related issue - is there any chance of getting udisks 2.1.4 backported to Mint 17.1? udisks2 < 2.1.4 makes automatic sleep pretty much impossible anyway unless you set the standby timeout to less than 10 minutes, because udisks2 checks SMART every 10 minutes and resets the timer. Some disks have a minimum timeout value of 10 minutes, and so they will never sleep automatically unless SMART is disabled completely. udisks v2.1.4 fixes this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dib3000

Re: Disk sleep/standby - Mint 17.1

Post by dib3000 »

Some more information.

The correct settings are saved in /etc/udisks2/xxxxxxxxxxxx.conf for each disk. But they are not getting applied after rebooting. Checking with hdparm -I shows APM as "disabled" even though it should be set to 127 (as shown in both Gnome Disk Utility and in the .conf files).

Return to “Hardware Support”