[Solved] Acer A500 Tablet Freeze My Mint PC When Connected

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ridz1ba

[Solved] Acer A500 Tablet Freeze My Mint PC When Connected

Post by ridz1ba »

I have a very peculiar problem. I have a very old Android tablet, Acer Iconia A500 running Icecream Sandwich 4.0.3 and a newly installed 64 bit Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon PC. When I connect the tablet to the Mint PC, the cursor freezes, but I could see that it successfully connected as the Nemo file manager pops up and displays both the 'Internal Storage' and 'SD Card' icons. A desktop icon labelled 'Acer Iconia A500' also appears. However, I am not able to move the cursor and the PC will not accept any key stokes. The only way I can resume control of the PC is by disconnecting the Acer tablet - whereby Nemo will display the Home folder, the icon for the tablet disappears from my desktop, and I can the move the cursor and the PC will behave normally.

FYI, it makes no difference if:

(a) I enable or disable USB debugging on the tablet
(b) I use another USB cable to connect the tablet to the PC

Also, note that, if the system freezes, it will be impossible to get the output of 'lsusb' and 'dmesg' commands. I am hoping that someone has also encountered this problem and will give me some advice on how to fix this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Acer A500 Tablet Freeze My Mint PC When Connected

Post by Kalyk »

It sounds like Linux recognizes your tablet as a replacement inputdevice and X switches input to that.
Try and see what happens if you open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then plug in your tablet, does the keyboard keep working.
And if the keyboard does work then you will be able to do lsusb and see how the tablet shows itself.
Probably not the solution to your problem but hope its a useful step in troubleshooting.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
ridz1ba

Post by ridz1ba »

Thanks, Kalyk
The keyboard remains unresponsive even with a terminal open. I suspect that maybe the USB port on the PC (I used the same port to carry out this test) is a bit wonky. I am still conducting further tests. I will keep forum informed of result.
ridz1ba

Post by ridz1ba »

It can now be confirmed that the USB port that I used to connect the Acer A500 tablet is defective. The problem seems to be intermittent - sometimes the tablet connect without a problem; other times it freezes the PC. Using other USB ports and any USB cable, I am able to make a connection without any problem at any time. In my defence, this is a new problem and has not cropped up before - anyway, the Asus P5Q (on which the PC is based) motherboard is an old motherboard and, most probably get retired soon. :oops:

Return to “Hardware Support”