USB3 Dying

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dfrier

USB3 Dying

Post by dfrier »

I have a home-built with the following
  • Motherboard INTEL BOXDH77DF H77 LGA1155 Newegg part# 13-121-597
    CPU INTEL CORE I5 3470 3.2G 6M Newegg part# 19-115-234

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64b
    Kernel 3.13.0-37-generic
    16GB RAM
In the past few days I have had steadily increasing difficulty with my USB3 devices. I have an external disk and a USB3 hub connected, and the situation has now escalated to where every device connected to the USB3 goes dead at once, spontaneously so far as I can tell. Anyway I have not figured out how to reproduce it. I have two things connected to the hub full-time and a handful of other things I connect from time to time. A tablet, a phone, a small camera, and various thumb drives.

Rebooting the system clears the problem for a while.

Any thought on how to trouble-shoot this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: USB3 Dying

Post by richyrich »

...a USB3 hub connected... I have two things connected to the hub full-time and a handful of other things...
How is it powered? are all the devices drawing power from it, or from your machine?
dfrier

Re: USB3 Dying

Post by dfrier »

The hub has an independent power supply, and so does the disk.

So nothing is dependent solely on the motherboard for power.

That said, I honestly have no idea how the hub makes sure that the power it provides the devices comes from the line and not the computer....

Return to “Hardware Support”