What ATI Driver is used by default?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

What ATI Driver is used by default?

Postby Mr. Swillis on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to determine what accelerated driver is being used by default in Mint 5/Ubuntu 8.04. Looking through the packages, I can't tell if it's using the newer Catalyst driver from ATI or if it's using the older Fglrx driver. If it's using Catalyst, what version?

I dual boot with Arch and I have Catalyst 8.8-2 on that system. The two systems have noticeable differences in performance in 3d games (not really better/worse...just "different"), so I was attempting to compare driver versions. The Xorg configuration is practically identical.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me clear this up in my head. I'm just confused with the different packaging structure between Arch and Debian...

Swill
And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
Mr. Swillis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What ATI Driver is used by default?

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:35 am

The default driver in any (?) Linux distro would be the open source driver, which is called "radeon" or "ati"
The Catalyst closed source driver is called "fglrx" and you can install it with Envy or the restricted drivers tool
I can't say anything about the differences between Mint and Arch though....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support