Unable to Resume After Loss of Power

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Unable to Resume After Loss of Power

Postby rasman on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi

I have been using Mint for about 12 months now and would consider myself a newbie.

I have Elyssa installed on an Acer Ferrari 4000. The laptop was inadvertently running on battery when I suddenly realised I was about to run out of power. Before I was able to plug in the system suspended/hibernated (not sure which). After I plugged the power adaptor in and turned on the laptop on I was presented with a blank screen. I pressed the power button once with no effect. The laptop does not respond to any input from the keyboard (ie Ctrl+Alt+Del, Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc). The only LED that is on is the one showing hard drive activity and this one is constantly lit.

Hardware spec is as follows:
Processor: AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-40
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE)

Os: Elyssa Main Edition (dual boot with Windows XP). Windows is on the C Drive, Elyssa is on the D Drive.

Things I have tried:
I removed the hard drive and put it into another acer laptop I have and was able to boot.
I have tried inserting a live cd into the DVD drive and turning the laptop on: no response.
I tried hooking up an external monitor in the faint hope of something: no response.

I would be grateful if anyone can suggest any way of either waking this thing up or achieving a reboot.

Thanks
Rasman
rasman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to Resume After Loss of Power

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:17 am

Ouch!
Can you get into the BIOS?
A laptop BIOS is not much to play with but here should be something like "Load failsafe settings" or so
If not change some setting (more or less at random) that is safe to change and see if that makes any difference
Use the disk from the other Acer (maybe a bit risky)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rasman on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't think I can get into the BIOS - I only know of hitting del or going into setup after turning on power for a boot which I am unable to do at the moment. If there is another way it is not something I know how to do.

I had previously spoken with Acer, a few days ago before starting this post, who suggested doing something called a static discharge which did not work either.

I will have a go at using the drive from the other acer (something I had considered earlier) after I have ensured my backup procedure is working. Not overly optimistic that the situation will improve, but who knows, worth a try.

Thanks.
rasman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:19 pm

A strange situation, but not impossible to explain.
The operating system and different parts of the hardware (BIOS other firmware, because BIOS is really the firmware of the motherboard) are constantly talking to each other and the operating system is supposed to change settings in firmware on occasion
You have experienced such a process gone wrong
One thing I did not mention earlier as it can be pretty tricky on a laptop is to remove the BIOS battery for an hour so and hope you reset the mobo ....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby rasman on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:17 am

Thanks for explanation. Swapping drive had no effect as I expected.

I will send laptop back to Acer and for investigation and repair as I am not comfortable with the idea of mucking around with the inside of a laptop (apart from those bits I can easily swap out, memory, hd etc).

Thanks for your help.
rasman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support