Post Mint6 upgrade problems

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Post Mint6 upgrade problems

Postby ArcherB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 am

First, I'll start with how I got here. You can skip this part if you want to go straight to the problems...

Mint5 was running great, but I really liked the new stuff Ubuntu 8.10 so I wanted to upgrade. Formatting my HDD is not an option as there is no way to back up all my family photos, mp3's, movies and so on. So, I used the "upgrade tool". After a few issues with "unresolved dependencies" and whatever, the upgrade finished. I rebooted and was up and running again with a few issues. Mostly minor stuff like the "quicksearch" would not work in synaptic, I couldn't use a GUI to edit my sources and a few other issues like kpilot being orphaned in apt. This was enough to make me try another method of installing that I read in the blog where you do the install from the live CD and simply don't format any drives. This allowed me to keep my settings, although any non-default applications were gone. This is where I ran into trouble.

The Problems:
On reboot, GDM started, but my mouse and keyboard would not work. I was able to ctrl-alt-f2 to a terminal and work there so the keyboard worked, but no inputs in X. I copied my xorg.conf file from my working Ubuntu 8.10 box and got the keyboard to work, but still no mouse. The xorg.log shows:
Cannot locate a core pointer device

Next, networking would not work. ifconfig would show no IP address for eth0. Further researched showed a eth0:0. I resolved this by manually adding a configuration to my /etc/network/interfaces file for both network devices (eth0 and eth0:0).

Once I got my network back up I was able to run apt and get some badly needed troubleshooting tools. I installed vnc so I can log in from my Ubuntu box and actually use a GUI to make editing config files easier (vi kinda sux) and filezilla so I could copy files back and forth. VNC runs OK for the most part except every time I hit the space bar, it brings up a search window. I was able to fix this before my "second " upgrade, but don't remember what I did. Still not a big deal as once I close the app, it stays gone until the next vnc session.

Now I can't get frequency scaling or sensors to work. I've tried both powernowd and cpufreqd. Powernowd responds with:
CPU frequency scaling not supported...

and cpufreqd responds with:
No cpufreq interface found, not starting cpufreqd

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 35
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 175
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2202.805
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
bogomips : 4405.61
clflush size : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 35
model name : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 175
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2202.805
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy
bogomips : 4405.88
clflush size : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

I think that is a good enough start for now. The problem maybe some sort of HAL or ACPI issue, but wth do I know. I'll be happy if I can get these three issues, mouse in X, frequency scaling and CPU monitoring working.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
ArcherB
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Post Mint6 upgrade problems

Postby ArcherB on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Nevermind. Rather than backing up my data, I moved all the system folders to my home directory and re-installed. The system installed as if I had formatted, but kept my documents, emails, pictures and other data in tact. This took care of the issues I was having and opened a few more, but those are software/application related.

If anyone is curious as to what the problem was, I will keep the old folders for few days just to make sure there is nothing I need from there before deleting.
ArcherB
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support