NetGear WG111v2 Problem. Please Help!!

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

NetGear WG111v2 Problem. Please Help!!

Postby NateFlax on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:40 am

Hello, I'm completely new to Linux.
I made a DualBoot with Windows Vista Basic & Linux Mint 6.0. I finished installing Mint a few hours ago, but i've run into a big problem: My Wireless card isn't working properly :cry: . it's a "Netgear WG111v2" and it plugs into your PC via USB. Once i plugged it in I was able to find my Wireless Router and connect to it. However the signal strength was about 1/3 of what i usually get, and plus I'm not getting any internet connection coming through it :cry: .
I've spent countless hours on it, trying to figure out how to get it to work. But I still can't figure it out. I've been reading other Forums and posts from all sorts of websites with people that are having similar problems with there "Wireless Internet Card"(Whatever you call it), and they all seemed to need something called "ndiswrapper". I found a website online (While running Windows Vista. In case anyone was wondering how i got internet) and i got version 1.53. However, I can't figure out how it works or how you run it! :cry:
Could someone PLEASE help me out?
I am COMPLETELY new to Linux. I know absolutely nothing about it. Would someone please help me? This is getting me very upset :cry:

Note:
-I am Using Linux Mint 6.0 (Felicia)
-"NETGEAR WG11v2" Works fine with Windows Vista Basic on same PC

PC specs(if this helps any):
-3.0GHz AMD DualCore Processor
-2GB DDR2 RAM
-NVidia GeForce 7600 GS
-250GB Seagate Sata HDD
-MSI Mother Board (I don't know anything about the Mother Board, other then it's made by Micro Star International)
-Wireless Card Thingy: "NETGEAR WG111v2"
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: NetGear WG111v2 Problem. Please Help!!

Postby Fornhamfred on Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:56 am

Welcome to Mint

Have you tried following the previous posts?

Have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=11870&p=72901&hilit=netgear+wg111#p72901

Good Luck
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NateFlax on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Ok, I was reading around some more and I almost have it working. But still no internet.
I installed ndiswrapper and nisGTK (or something) and i got the correct Win98 Driver and .inf file, and even blacklisted the other wrong Drivers. It fixed my signal strength quite a bit, it went from 24% to now 70% (which is what it gets in Windows Vista). But however I still can't connect :cry:
The only thing i don't understand about the connection is something called "DHCP". I typed in the correct WEP Key(and tried Passphrase) i put in the correct SSID and everything else, Except the DHCP. Does anyone know what that is? I think that's the last problem i have until this whole thing is fixed. So please help! i'm still very new to Linux!
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Well DHCP is as follows:

Short for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, a protocol for assigning dynamic IP addresses to devices on a network. With dynamic addressing, a device can have a different IP address every time it connects to the network. In some systems, the device's IP address can even change while it is still connected. DHCP also supports a mix of static and dynamic IP addresses.

Dynamic addressing simplifies network administration because the software keeps track of IP addresses rather than requiring an administrator to manage the task. This means that a new computer can be added to a network without the hassle of manually assigning it a unique IP address. Many ISPs use dynamic IP addressing for dial-up users.

The DHCP server on your system will be your router. You can check this by looking at your router config. by typing 192.168.0.1( assuming that this is the router IP address) into your browser. Enter your password and under router status, lanport you should see DHCP On.

So use your router IP address as the DHCP server address.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby NateFlax on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:05 pm

ok thanks! i'll try that next. i just tried turing off my WEP, and setting my router up with "NO" security, and that seems to fix my problem. i can get a strong signal, and a power internet connection. however, i NEED security. but i can't use WPA since some of my stuff still only works with that. so WEP is my only path to go...

but i'll try using the DHCP. thanks.
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support