acer aspire one web cam

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

acer aspire one web cam

Postby ukpooka on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi all, I have finally made the move into Linux myself, I have installed Mint on several old computers at work for general everyday use so we dont have to worry about virus etc and have enjoyed the fun of using new types of distros every couple of months but still come back to Mint.

Anyhow my question I have purchased an Aspire one and installed Mint 6 and have used this site extensively to find solutions for the wireless access etc but cannot find anything about the use of the web cam so here is the question.

What program can I use for IM and use the inbuilt web cam, there must be one as the Linux supplies with the Aspire one allows it to be used?

Cheers and thanks in advance

ukpooka
ukpooka
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: acer aspire one web cam

Postby hotweiss on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:08 pm

www.skype.com

Download and install the Ubuntu package.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xeladrofrehtur on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm

i know this isn't rally related to your problem but i have an acer aspire one and i recently installed Linux mint and i lost my wireless how did you solve this problem?

thanks
xeladrofrehtur
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DJM on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 am

ukpooka:

you can use Cheese. Look for it in Synaptic.
DJM
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ddalley on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Edit: well that was interesting. When I saw this thread linked in the "New Posts", I only got to see the original post. Then, after I made my reply, the remaining posts were displayed. That wasn't helpful.

I'll check into the rest of the suggests now.

=================

I am also looking for a solution for the Aspire One's special hardware, not just the web cam, so does anyone have a way of dealing with the extra SD slot and web cam? I haven't checked sound and or other things such as auto-shutdown yet, either.

I believe Ubuntu is going to have better solutions for netbooks in the next release, but that is still somewhat off in the distance.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support