Cinnamon crashes in LM17.2 guest in VMWare Player 7.1.2

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eclay42

Cinnamon crashes in LM17.2 guest in VMWare Player 7.1.2

Post by eclay42 »

This problem recently showed up (presumably after some sort of update to either VMWare or Linux) and it's been consistently not working since.

My linux setup is somewhat unique, I have a laptop with dual ssds and I have LM17.2 on one SSD and windows 10 on the other. I can boot linux directly off the ssd for full hardware access (this method still works perfectly) or in windows by having VMWare target the ssd as the vm drive (this is when the crash occurs). The vm method has worked perfectly for the last year and just recently started having problems where cinnamon crashes to fallback mode immediately after the login screen.

I've reinstalled vmware tools without success, synaptic shows that the vmware xorg video drivers are installed and the latest version. Running glxinfo gives a big string of errors:

Code: Select all

name of display: :0
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

inxi:

Code: Select all

CPU(s)~2 Single core Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPUs (-HT-SMP-) clocked at 2693.761 Mhz Kernel~3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 Up~18 min Mem~482.0/7978.5MB HDD~64.0GB(59.1% used) Procs~333 Client~Shell inxi~1.9.17
Any suggestions on where to start to debug this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eclay42

Re: Cinnamon crashes in LM17.2 guest in VMWare Player 7.1.2

Post by eclay42 »

Update:
Purging the nvidia driver fixes the problem in vmware, but this is not an ideal solution for a dualboot.

I saw some other posts with people having fallback crashes with nvidia cards, but I was not experiencing those when dual booting. It almost seems like xorg is attempting to use the nvidia driver when running in vmware. If that is the case, how would I edit xorg or whatever to prevent that from happening?
eclay42

Re: Cinnamon crashes in LM17.2 guest in VMWare Player 7.1.2

Post by eclay42 »

Bumping this thread again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might resolve these issues? Now I'm having weird transparency glitches in cinnamon when it's running in vmware player. I'm about ready to go ahead and kill this linux install and start over given all the graphics problems I've been having, is there a guide to reinstalling everything in place to be like a fresh install?

Return to “Hardware Support”