some self written dvds not mounting

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

some self written dvds not mounting

Postby maccer on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 am

Hello,

I recently realized that some dvds which I have written, do not mount from my dvd drive (not burner). Better said they mount randomly, without a particular trend, sometimes yes, other times no. Commercial dvds seem to work fine, although the drive seems to be having a hard time with them... Now this is a rather old drive, approx.6 years old. I'm suspecting that it isn't the fault of Linux Mint, but of my drive, although I want to make sure before I buy a new one. Oh and the burned dvds play fine under both Mac OS X and Windows (from a different computer with a different drive).

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
maccer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: some self written dvds not mounting

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 am

6 years is a long time, especially if you have used it much. I'd get a new one - they are cheap (haven't checked recently but no more than 20 euro I think)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby bobpur on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:39 am

I don't know if this is true for DVD's or not.

When you burn a CD part of the process is "closing" the CD. If this isn't done, the CD can only be read by the drive that burnt it and will be unreadable by any other drive.

As far as your burner goes; "It's not the age, it's the miles." I have a 10 year old burner in a Compaq that I re-installed after the Sony Optiarc, that replaced it, trashed itself after 3 months.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Postby maccer on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:36 am

Thank you. I bought a new burner, and it works fine. I knew it wasn't Mint, it just couldn't be :)
maccer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support