Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Postby Valeria_st on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new Acer with an integrated Crystal Eye webcam and installed Mint 6 Universal. The cam doesn't seem to work with either Skype or Cheese. When I load the uvcvideo module (modprobe uvcvideo), Skype recognises the cam but gives no video output. I've checked the kernel.log and confirmed that uvc recognises my cam:

Code: Select all
Jan  5 00:30:51 elvira-laptop kernel: [   13.678675] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Acer Crystal Eye webcam (5986:0105)

So my cam uses uvc, hence, I tried downloading linux-uvc driver using svn and compiled it but what should I do next? I read that I had to insert the uvcvideo.ko into the kernel and remove the existing one, how do I do that in Mint? Is it the right way forwards? The following instructions are given for Ubunu Hardy, can I follow them in Mint???

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) &&
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk &&
cd trunk &&
make &&
sudo cp -av /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules &&
sudo install -v -m644 uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko &&
sudo depmod -ae $(uname -r)

Any help will be highly appreciaed!

Valeria
Valeria_st
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Postby hotweiss on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 pm

What is the model of your Acer notebook? Acer sometimes has 3 suppliers for their webcam module, lol, so it's hard to find the right solution. If you type lsusb you should get the model...
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support