Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Postby Valeria_st on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

Just bought a new Acer with an integrated Crystal Eye webcam and installed Mint 6 Universal. The cam doesn't seem to work with either Skype or Cheese. When I load the uvcvideo module (modprobe uvcvideo), Skype recognises the cam but gives no video output. I've checked the kernel.log and confirmed that uvc recognises my cam:

Code: Select all
Jan  5 00:30:51 elvira-laptop kernel: [   13.678675] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device Acer Crystal Eye webcam (5986:0105)

So my cam uses uvc, hence, I tried downloading linux-uvc driver using svn and compiled it but what should I do next? I read that I had to insert the uvcvideo.ko into the kernel and remove the existing one, how do I do that in Mint? Is it the right way forwards? The following instructions are given for Ubunu Hardy, can I follow them in Mint???

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) &&
svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk &&
cd trunk &&
make &&
sudo cp -av /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules &&
sudo install -v -m644 uvcvideo.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/uvcvideo.ko &&
sudo depmod -ae $(uname -r)

Any help will be highly appreciaed!

Valeria
Valeria_st
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Crystal Eye integrated webcam driver problem

Postby hotweiss on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:04 pm

What is the model of your Acer notebook? Acer sometimes has 3 suppliers for their webcam module, lol, so it's hard to find the right solution. If you type lsusb you should get the model...
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support