Fan control (lack of)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fan control (lack of)

Postby jasper on Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Have Linux mint 6 Gnome version on abit IC7G......typical P4 machine.

Very impressed with the distro and want to keep using it, but,.......fan control is completely pathetic, which is rather spoiling things.

Fan speed is ok except for when CPU has seen some work, then fan speed increases as you would expect, however, despite CPU cooling off the fan speed does not decrease but remains at full speed for the rest of the log in. That is NOT good.

This problem is well reported and seems a very widespread issue, not just with Mint 6 but with nearly all Ubuntu spins, spanning a considerable time period. Many laptop people have strong dislike of Ubuntu for this very reason, understandably.

If I may make a suggestion to the mint team; .........nail this problem as a top priority, it would be a shame for Mint to get a reputation as a shagger of fans & batteries.

An excellent distro, the best I've used, & probably THE most user friendly, moreover, I gave it a very favorable reports in various photographic forums on the basis of it's ease of use, stability & security.........but won't have it on here with this fan problem, no way.

(yes, I have lm sensors installed, etc, etc, etc.......the fan control is just a one-shot one-way event, simple as that)
Last edited by jasper on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasper
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fan control (lack of)

Postby jasper on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:08 pm

What, no interest?........right, this O/S comes off my hardware.
jasper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 pm

LOL!
Don't forget to demand your money back! :mrgreen:
Why would you get pissed because none of the other uses steps up to the plate and help you within 24 hours,
you should try getting help from Microsoft sometime, where you DO pay get the right to use their splendid software! :roll:
Do you use any extra app for the fan control, did you activate laptop-mode, a more extensive explanation would be necessary to help you out.
What version of mint are you using?
What DE?
I use Mint 5 XFCE and I have no problem what so ever with fan control,
and believe me it gets pushed pretty hard from time to time during my more extensive script using on large images in Gimp,
but when it has cooled down it immediately spins down!

So for the millionth time this week Mint XFCE FTW!!! :mrgreen:
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby jasper on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Cost is an irrelevance to bad workmanship. If you had read not just my post, but also conducted a bit of research into the problem yourself, you'd realise this issue affects a number of Ubuntu derivaties, and would also realise the issue has been known about for a long time. It therefore seems rather sloppy to release a distro with a recurring problem such as this one, particularly when the distro had the potential to really shine.

Since you mention money, in a rather crass manner I notice.........no, I am not seeking compensation for MY time, MY materials, and MY bandwidth costs incurred so as to give this distro a very fair review, moreover, I have gone out of my way to not only praise this distro, but also to give recognition to the team behind it. So I think I've done my bit, all free of charge.

You know there's always someone on any technical forum who has but one single input;.........."mine works" Something which does nobody any favours, just wastes everyone's time. The fact that yours works, is of no consequence to anyone else, and no one actually cares either. I would also add; it's a sad indictment of the IT industry, that being a consultant, this is the best response you can offer. The saving grace is the knowledge I don't do business with you.

Quote: "Do you use any extra app for the fan control, did you activate laptop-mode, a more extensive explanation would be necessary to help you out"

.......Why would I be activating laptop mode on an IC7G M/B?
.......If I used a fan control app that worked I'd have a) said so, b) had no need to report the problem because there wouldn't be a problem.

Quote: "What version of mint are you using?"

...........Why do you ask me this? it quite plainly says in my post which version I was using.

I do not require your help.
jasper
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Gee, sorry Mr. Angry!
Well that explains everything, I'm using mint 5, because there were to many Ubuntu issues in Mint 6.
Hakuna matata!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Hardware Support