Mint on a MacBook 4,1 : Bluetooth doesn't work...

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint on a MacBook 4,1 : Bluetooth doesn't work...

Postby Lvw2000 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey guys,

I've used Ubuntu, Fedora and now Mint, and Mint is hands down my favourite! I'm considering donating some money soon, it's just that good!

However, 2 minor issues, which I also had with Fedora, but since I like Mint so much I REALLY wanna fix them :)

I tried installing my iSight using a tutorial on the Ubuntu site, but after trying it with Cheese (that I downloaded with Synaptic) I still get no camera found. (this is a Macbook 4,1)

And as for keyboard layout, well, I don't know. I'm from Belgium so it's an Azerty-keyboard, but some buttons still aren't right.
In Keyboard Preferences I have Macbook/Macbook Pro (intl) as model, and Belgium as layout but that doesn't do the trick, it acts as a normal azerty-keyboard.

So any help would be much appreciated :D
Last edited by Lvw2000 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvw2000
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint on a MacBook, iSight and keyboard layout not OK

Postby hotweiss on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Have you tried this iSight solution?

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/11/03/ ... buntu-810/

Your keyboard solution might be in this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Lvw2000 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Alright, that got my iSight up and running! Thanks a lot!

The keyboard stuff seems a bit too risky imo, I'm not gonna try that, scared I might render something unusable :)

And now for to get my Bluetooth working... It should be enabled by default but, do you think it being disabled in OSX when I shut down there causes Mint not to see it?

Edit: even with Bluetooth enabled in OSX (so it doesn't switch it of in hardware) Mint doesn't see my Bluetooth... Ubuntu help pages say it should be supported by defult :(

Edit: never mind, it DID work, there just weren't any devices to communicate with :D

Mint is awesome!

But, once the device has been coupled, what can I do then?
Lvw2000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hotweiss on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Lvw2000 wrote:Alright, that got my iSight up and running! Thanks a lot!

The keyboard stuff seems a bit too risky imo, I'm not gonna try that, scared I might render something unusable :)

And now for to get my Bluetooth working... It should be enabled by default but, do you think it being disabled in OSX when I shut down there causes Mint not to see it?

Edit: even with Bluetooth enabled in OSX (so it doesn't switch it of in hardware) Mint doesn't see my Bluetooth... Ubuntu help pages say it should be supported by defult :(

Edit: never mind, it DID work, there just weren't any devices to communicate with :D

Mint is awesome!

But, once the device has been coupled, what can I do then?

You should be able send files between the two devices, use a bluetooth mouse (only use for Bluetooth that I have, no dongle), use headphones, etc...
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint on a MacBook 4,1 : Bluetooth doesn't work...

Postby Lvw2000 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 am

Yes I know, but like, if I pair it with my cellphone, what app can I use to send files? 'Cause my phone still doesn't see the laptop as is, and the BlueTooth icon doesn't offer any options other than "connect new device"

Sorry if I'm going a bit off-topic here...
Lvw2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint on a MacBook 4,1 : Bluetooth doesn't work...

Postby hotweiss on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Lvw2000 wrote:Yes I know, but like, if I pair it with my cellphone, what app can I use to send files? 'Cause my phone still doesn't see the laptop as is, and the BlueTooth icon doesn't offer any options other than "connect new device"

Sorry if I'm going a bit off-topic here...

You can set-up your Bluetooth device to make your laptop visible, just go into the preferences.
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support