Dell D630-mice and windows keys

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calibre97

Dell D630-mice and windows keys

Post by calibre97 »

Can someone help with configuring the Windows keys (e.g. left Win key mapped to open menu) and opening up the trackpad on my Dell D630? The trackpad tracks only an inch or two for each swipe and if I'm too enthusiastic, I frequently accidentally catch the right edge causing the virtual desktops to roll. The eraser head is way too fast by contrast so I have either too much juice (eraser head 'mouse') or very little (trackpad).

I looked at the mouse configure bit but there wasn't much there. Maybe there's a secondary utility or tool or something?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hotweiss

Re: Dell D630-mice and windows keys

Post by hotweiss »

calibre97 wrote:Can someone help with configuring the Windows keys (e.g. left Win key mapped to open menu) and opening up the trackpad on my Dell D630? The trackpad tracks only an inch or two for each swipe and if I'm too enthusiastic, I frequently accidentally catch the right edge causing the virtual desktops to roll. The eraser head is way too fast by contrast so I have either too much juice (eraser head 'mouse') or very little (trackpad).

I looked at the mouse configure bit but there wasn't much there. Maybe there's a secondary utility or tool or something?
To play around with the shortcuts:

System-->Preferences-->Keyboard Shortcuts

To configure your trackpad you need to install gsynaptics:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gsynaptics
calibre97

Re: Dell D630-mice and windows keys

Post by calibre97 »

Following up to report success.
Did the Windows key change to open the menu. Interesting twist is it opens the menu, a collapsed version actually, wherever the cursor is. Quite nice.

As for GSynaptics, just installing it isn't enough. At least for me on the Dell D630. I found a link to this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

which includes a helpful link for enabling SHMConfig. I had to create a new file, "99-x11-synaptics.fdi" and save it to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and then reboot and when I tried System > Preferences > Touchpad, I got the proper config dialog. I enabled acceleration and turned down sensitivity a tad and now all is wonderbar.

Return to “Hardware Support”