Screen resolution changes when waking from sleep

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snagelbaz

Screen resolution changes when waking from sleep

Post by Snagelbaz »

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question (feel free to move the topic).

When waking my computer from sleep the screen resolution switches back to the display's native resolution. Which makes the resolution much higher than I would like it to be. The machine is for my mother and she is not going to be able to/want to fiddle with the resolution every time the machine wakes up. I did some searching and couldn't find a similar issue and/or a solution.

Additional details that may or may not be helpful: Originally the screen wouldn't come on at all when waked from sleep. I think the machine crashed or at least refused to refresh the display. I fiddled with the sleep.d directory and deleted the "novatel 3g" file. That seemed to fix the crashing.

Also, when I change the screen resolution I have to do it one step down at a time or I get a black screen. For example, the highest resolution is called "Res A". And I want to get to Res E. I have to go sequentially from A to B to C to D to get to E or I get a black screen.

The computer is a Core 2 Duo Dell Inspiron machine. Using the Intel 945GM integrated graphics (no Nvidia or AMD). 2 gigs of RAM. 60 GB hard drive. 17" display.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Screen resolution changes when waking from sleep

Post by Pierre »

have you installed the Intel Video Driver:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... 13-04.html
is one way of doing that.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Snagelbaz

Re: Screen resolution changes when waking from sleep

Post by Snagelbaz »

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and the driver wasn't supported by the Mint distro, only under Ubuntu.

I don't know if the issue is the graphics driver or simply that MATE or something else is forgetting the resolution it's supposed to go to when waking up from sleep mode.

Oh, it if helps I'm running Mint 17.3 MATE 64-bit. I tried 32 bit Cinnamon originally and it wouldn't even wake up from sleep.

Return to “Hardware Support”