XBOX 360 controller problem

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

XBOX 360 controller problem

Postby hellsing001 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:29 am

I have install the driver etc and it finds the pad ok. However, the pad controls the mouse and none of the buttons work.

Tried to use it in SDLMame but its shows up as mouseX- etc.

Hasn't anyone create a pack for this yet to simply install through the package manager.

Any ideas???
hellsing001
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XBOX 360 controller problem

Postby WildSioux on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:02 am

I am having the same problem. I am fairly new to mint. Been jumping around and now trying the kde RC :wink:

There is a bug filed here...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/274203

The only thing I have tried in a different distro was added this to xorg
Code: Select all
Section "ServerFlags"
 Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

That worked and I was able to use the joystick. However, my PC wouldn't detect hot plugged devices such as USB drives and the keyboard acted strange. The volume buttons stopped working. And hitting F2, any combination (F2, Alt + F2) caused the computer to exit KDE and it tried to reboot hung up at about 98% reboot on exit.

BTW, this was on Sabayonlinux and I haven't tried this on mint yet.

Does anyone know of another fix? Hoping some others can help. Thanks
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby WildSioux on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:16 pm

I fixed it!!!!!!!!! (I hope you are still here hellsing001)

Using the link I posted above, I tried the other fix which is permanent meaning it sticks after a reboot. Here is what you need to do. Make sure all the joysticks you need are plugged in.

Open up Terminal and type in:
sudo lsinput

You will then see your joysticks and other input devices listed. Find the one you need and copy the "name : PRODUCT ID OF YOUR JOYSTICK"

Then create a new text file as root and paste this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" contains="PRODUCT ID OF YOUR JOYSTICK">
      <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string"></merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Be sure to replace and paste your joystick ID in the capital letter part.

Save it in this folder
/etc/hal/fdi/policy
(the reason for editing as root). Name it the same as what your joystick ID is (same as above in the code).

For example, my controller that was taking over the mouse.

The ID was: Mad Catz Wired XBOX 360 Controll

Pasted that in the above code, and saved it as Mad Catz Wired XBOX 360 Controll.fdi

This not only fixed my madcatz controller taking over the mouse. But it also made it so my guitar hero controllers work. They were previously recognised but wouldn't work. Also, no more blinking lights all the time on them either. And since I didn't use the previous code I pasted above, everything works as is (hot plug devices are recognized).

Hopefully this is fixed in future releases of Ubuntu and Mint. It should all be automatic.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sa330206 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:39 pm

When I run sudo lsinput I get "sudo: lsinput: command not found."
sa330206
Level 1
Level 1

Postby WildSioux on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:25 am

@ sa330206:

Sorry, I almost forgot about this thread...

Type "sudo apt-get install input-utils" (minux the quotes) in a terminal to install the lsinput utils.

I just recently installed the Mint 6 KDE CE (was RC1 which had it installed already). Hope that helps.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ankillito on Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 pm

@hellsing001

You said you installed the driver for it? What driver? My lsinput does not list my controller...
ankillito
Level 1
Level 1

Postby habichtha on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:11 am

How do I make Xbox Live work with wireless internet when the router has a password? I just moved in, and I learned that I will not be able to get wired internet. So I am going to get a wireless adapter. I am going to be sharing internet with my neighbor but access is passworded. I dont know how to get my other laptop to work with internet. She gave me a password so I can have access but I dont know where to type it.
Level 1

Postby Shikume on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Hello,
I have done what was stated above (downloaded and used lsutils, and made the file with the pid included) and I still can't seem to get my controller working correctly..
All of the buttons work correctly, and the left analog stick seems to be completely functional as well, but the right analog stick and the d-pad seem to be completely unusable at this point. I tested the controller out with one of my games, and it acted like the d-pad was stuck in one direction or another and just kept flipping through available options without stopping.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Oh, and I noticed the controller used to find the fix was a madcatz controller, while mine was made by xbox.. though I'm not sure if that would change anything or not, since other controllers were said to work as well...
Shikume
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support