I tried searching for this problem, but couldn't really find anything directly applicable. I also posted this in the software section of the forums (here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=21894), but it has received no response and it might have been more appropriate to post it here in the first place. This post will include some updates not in the original.
Here are the facts:
1. I am running Linux Mint 5 KDE CE
2. I am using a Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP
3. The camera works fine in Cheese for taking pictures, but not for recording video. If I tell it to start recording video, Cheese crashes.
4. The camera and the microphone each work fine individually in Skype (i.e. if I turn off video I can be heard and if I select different microphone input I can be seen), but not at the same time. If I select a working microphone and turn on video, I can be heard but I cannot be seen. More precisely, at first, the video was basically snow, but streaky (if that makes sense). After I followed the instructions mentioned in (5), the video would just freeze.
5. I've tried a few things, including following the instructions found here: http://narnia.cs.ttu.edu/drupal/node/171, but nothing has seemed to fix the problems.
I don't care about resolving (3), but I care a great deal about resolving (4), and (3) might be related. Please help!