Volume Control Keys Locking

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithclark

Volume Control Keys Locking

Post by keithclark »

I have a Compaq R4000 laptop with Linx Mint Felicia installed and working well. I do, however, have a problem with the volume keys. I have three of them. Volume Down, Volume Up, and Mute. My problem is that when I press one of them, Mint recognizes this and makes the appropriate volume adjustment, but it continues to do so just like if the key were being continuously pressed. The only solution is to reboot the laptop.

Any ideas on how to go about solving this issue?

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Volume Control Keys Locking

Post by Husse »

The basic settings for this is in Keyboard shortcuts
Under Sound you should have some XF86something
You can mark up, down and mute and press the corresponding key to get the right shortcut - it works for me
I don't know why this happens but a guess is that somehow the keyboard does not stop responding when you let go of the key
keithclark

Post by keithclark »

Husse wrote:The basic settings for this is in Keyboard shortcuts
Under Sound you should have some XF86something
You can mark up, down and mute and press the corresponding key to get the right shortcut - it works for me
I don't know why this happens but a guess is that somehow the keyboard does not stop responding when you let go of the key
Nope, same problem. Funny thing is, when I plug an USB keyboard in, with volume keys, they work just fine.

Keith
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is beyond me....
And I think it will be hard to find a solution....
Arron

Post by Arron »

I have the smae laptop, Compaq R4000 and the same problem. The volume worked fine in mint 4,5 Ubuntu 6.4-8.4 amongst other distros. Now with Ubuntu 8.10 and Mint im having the same volume problems.

Something must of changed somewhere upstream.
Arron

Post by Arron »

With more looking, seems to be a larger problem...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/271706
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch - we have to rely on the kernel devs....
No offence meant to any kernel dev :)
keithclark

Post by keithclark »

Arron wrote:With more looking, seems to be a larger problem...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/271706
Thanks for the research!

Keith
Arron

Post by Arron »

bump

Anyone have any info in this? Its a pain. The volume buttons do work on mint XFCE 6, but the smbfuse. Seems like currently I cannot eat and have my cake too.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry but this is something that needs a "kernel quirk" or what have you :(
The problem seems to be that some keys (and the volume wheel is a "key") on some computers don't send a key up (or down) which creates problems with how to "interpret the signal"
Husse

Post by Husse »

End of road here

Return to “Hardware Support”