Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Postby drcfisher on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:08 am

When I go to Nvidia X-Server Setttings (control panel), I can switch my resolution from auto to 75Hz. However, when I hit "save to x-configuration" file, I get an error message saying, "Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'." I am running Mint 6 64Bit and a GeForce 8600 GT-XXX.

Also, Nvidia has 64 Bit drivers available for my card, and the drivers available online at Nvidia are much newer than the driver installed on my computer (I cannot tell if the driver Mint 6 driver manager installed is 64-bit or not). I want to install the new driver, but after I download it I cannot figure out for the life of me how to install it. Any suggestions? I've tried typing the command in the terminal as included in the instruction at Nvidia to no avail.

Why do I suspect I am going to be visiting the dreaded terminal fix/install everything above? If the terminal is involved please help me out with very specific instructions as I have never understood the terminal and its command line functions.
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Postby proxima_centauri on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:36 am

Perhaps it's because nvidia-settings isn't being used as root. Try running
Code: Select all
gksudo nvidia-settings
and applying the changes to xorg.conf again.

I don't think 32-bit drivers would install on a 64 bit system, you should have 64 bit drivers. I *believe* the Ubuntu repositories have nvidia 180.** which is the same as on the official nvidia site (180.22) Just of out curiosity, what does version does nvidia settings say you have?? I personally wouldn't bothing doing the manual install of the official nvidia drivers.
However, if you really really want to:
You need to download the package, stop X
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

navigate to the folder where your nvidia package is, the command "cd" is used to change directorys. So if the package is on your desktop "cd /home/*yourusername*/Desktop".
run it by
sh NVIDIA**.pkg

Where "**" is the rest of the package name, fill it in or hit TAB.
Start x again,
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby drcfisher on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Using the gksudo code you provided, I was able to launch the Nvidia control panel, change the setting to 75Hz, and save it with no error messages. Unfortunately, after a reboot, it reverts back to the original "auto" setting. Oddly, my log-in page now fits the screen correctly (presumably b/c it is at 75Hz), but the OS reverts back to the "auto" setting after leaving the log-in screen. I tried the same process with 60Hz and oddly enough it worked fine even after a reboot. I then tried 75Hz again (using gk sudo) and saved it, rebooted and it somehow reverted back to 60Hz (previously it reverted back to "auto" so this is new) . Any ideas?

Also, you asked what Nvida version driver was installed by default: 177.82. I went to Synaptic and did a search for Nvidia. It returned a mountain of results, but I think I selected the proper driver update package as I am now running 180.11.

Thanks for your help with this.
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby drcfisher on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Hey proxima_centauri - if you are still up for the challenge, I would very much still like to try to get this resolved. Thanks!
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey drcfisher,
Unfortunately I'm not that familiar to help you in this situation. I didn't mean to come across as ignoring your results. Still a pretty big newb myself when it comes to more more-advanced nit-picking.

I'm not sure I understand your descriptions of screen frequency, it should have no bearing whatsoever on screen resolution (are you saying that the screen resolution changes from the log in screen? or that you can noticible see the refresh rate has changed?). Have you tried using the "Screen Resolution" tool in Preferences and changing the refresh rate there?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby drcfisher on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 pm

My desired monitor resolution is 1280x1024. When set at 60Hz the desktop shifts to the right, cutting off completely the right side of the desktop and leaving a dark black strip on the left side. I don't know how a refresh rate could do this, but I have seen this on many computers, including many Dells, not just my computer so I think this is normal behaviour (you have manually reconfigure the monitor horizontal/vertical settings within the monitor menu).

I did try the Screen Resolution tool, but it cannot identify the monitor and offers only generic refresh rates of 50-53Hz. I assume this is because Nvidia is overriding this tool.

I think the biggest question is why the Nvidia settings control panel only saves 60 Hz or "Auto." Why does the Nvidia offer a 75Hz (which is what I need to bring my screen into alignment, and my monitor supports, and plus I hate 60Hz b/c I can notice the flickering), but will only save 60hz or Auto?

Quite honestly, this is the 4th or 5th time in 2 years I've tried to move from Windows to Linux as my main operating system. Every time I end up going back to Windows because of 2 seemingly simple things: (1) monitor configuration problems or (2) application installation problems (can't install needed applications because overly complicated and technical e.g. - tarballs, etc. - even the so-called "easy" application installation methods (synaptic, etc.) are extremely complicated due to an over-abundance of returned items after a search). For example, I've been trying to install Open Office 3.0 64-Bit with zero luck. It just shouldn't be this difficult. May be one of these days I'll be able to make the switch!
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kodiak on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 pm

drcfisher wrote:When I go to Nvidia X-Server Setttings (control panel), I can switch my resolution from auto to 75Hz. However, when I hit "save to x-configuration" file, I get an error message saying, "Unable to create new X config backup file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'." I am running Mint 6 64Bit and a GeForce 8600 GT-XXX.

Also, Nvidia has 64 Bit drivers available for my card, and the drivers available online at Nvidia are much newer than the driver installed on my computer (I cannot tell if the driver Mint 6 driver manager installed is 64-bit or not). I want to install the new driver, but after I download it I cannot figure out for the life of me how to install it. Any suggestions? I've tried typing the command in the terminal as included in the instruction at Nvidia to no avail.

Why do I suspect I am going to be visiting the dreaded terminal fix/install everything above? If the terminal is involved please help me out with very specific instructions as I have never understood the terminal and its command line functions.

Eureka! I hope this message finds you well (and that you will even see it) because I had the same exact problem you were having and I found what I believe is a permanent fix! No guarantees of course, I am a newcomer to Linux and have been struggling with the problem for a week now myself. I am running Mint 6 32bit, but I wouldn't see why the solution wouldn't work for you too.

Got the fix from this link http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/cant-save-my-the-screen-resolution-settings-on-ubuntu-8.10-681870/. I would go and read his suggestions if I were you. However I didn't follow it precisely. Here is what I did:

1. Open the NVIDIA X Server Settings GUI

2. Click "X Server Display Configuration"

3. Set the Res and Refresh to the settings you desire and click APPLY.

4. Click the "Save to X Configuration File" button BUT DO NOT CLICK SAVE. Instead click the "Show Preview" button. Look over the settings there. They should match your desired settings for Res and Refresh rate.

5. Highlight the entire text and COPY using Ctrl+"c"

6. Exit the NVIDIA X Server GUI

6. Open a terminal and type: sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

7, Highlight the entire text and REPLACE it by PASTING using Ctrl+"v"

8. Save the file and exit.

9. You should still have a terminal open (I did anyway). At the terminal prompt type: sudo reboot

In Grub, select the normal boot process (not recovery) and ... well, that should be it. It should boot up with your desired settings. It did for me. I hope you see this and it works for you too. Good luck and take care.
kodiak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby drcfisher on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:38 am

I appreciate yours and others' responses. However, your solution still did not work for me.

I updated Windows Vista to SP2 RC1 yesterday. It hung and crashed. I then decided to switch to Linux Mint (for good - as in good bye Vista). This "switch" has been completely unsuccessful. So far I have been unable to get Mint to (1) save the correct monitor resolution (2) install Open Office 3 (3) restore my backed up data off a hard drive. Well, as you know, #1 is not happening no matter what (what is it with Linux and monitors and this xorg???), I couldn't figure out the Open Office tarball/terminal installation for the life of me so I couldn't install that, and Mint will not mount the external hard drive. These are some of the most basic and simple computer operations one can do. That's it. I'm done. I'm actually going to reinstall/return to Vista. It's actually less hassle to reinstall the entire Vista operating system than it is to get basic operations completed with Linux. I do appreciate this community's help. You are nice folks. Take care.
drcfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tovar on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks kodiak it worked for me!

Well using Mint on P4 2.3GZ, 40GBHD, 1GB MEM, after my old P4 1.5GHZ, 512MB, WINXP died, unable to install my "OLD" uncertified copy of WINDOWS XP I moved to LINUX and then.... usng 32bit version of MINT.

I wil NEVER come back to windows, already tested a lot of linux distros before staying with Mint, is the best.

on May and June 2009 I tested Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Puppy (still good but no real install and not real multiuser), opênSUSE, DSL, Slax, Mandriva, Xubuntu, etc. came to conclusion that Debian based distros are in the top, but Mint is over the TOP of the TOP.

With linux you have almost everything you need without paying excessive fees.

Only a little problem trying to connect a IPOD NANO clone, but I prefer buying another MP3 player (say Sansa) that comming back to WINXP.

Regards

Thanks again.

Just being a little patient can give big results!

:D
Tovar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support