VGA Output on Acer laptop doesn't work properly

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VGA Output on Acer laptop doesn't work properly

Postby PcPixel on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right area for this, but I'll take a shot at it.

I have an Acer Extensa 4620z laptop that I'm using as my replacement workstation. I figure it made mroe sense to have a lightweight laptop I just "dock" versus having two systems.

Everything works ok except the monitor output. When I hook up an external monitor, I get a picture just fine but I can't blank the laptop screen. If I close the laptop lid, the system will work ok but after a little while the screen will start to "blink". Almost like its trying to put itself to sleep or something.

Any ideas?
PcPixel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VGA Output on Acer laptop doesn't work properly

Postby viking777 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Two ideas actually.

1) Leave the laptop screen alone why do you want to blank it? I have the exact same setup as you and I just leave the screen running and on the odd occasion that I need to, I move windows onto it (not often I admit)

2) The 'blinking' is probably your screensaver trying to kick in. Search through the settings and disable the screensaver (sorry I can't be more specific, but I use xfce not gnome so for me it comes under Settings/Screensaver settings, but probably not the same in gnome).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Hardware Support