Realtek RTL8187b wireless problem finally solved or not?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Realtek RTL8187b wireless problem finally solved or not?

Postby gumby on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 am

Has the problem with the Realtek RTL8187b wireless card not working in Linux been definitively solved? I am about to buy a Toshiba L300, which has that card, and I've spent days searching the net about this. The most recent info I saw was that the new Linux kernel fixes the problem. But then I saw posts saying, no, even with the new kernel, the wireless still doesn't work, or works badly, or the device is detected but they still can't connect.

Can anyone tell me whether this problem has been solved, or will be solved in the very near future? This laptop is the clear choice for my needs IF I can use the wireless. I am a total Linux newbie planning to move to Linux with this laptop so I want to be confident that it will be able to run wireless and run it to its full capabilities, at least in the very near future. Thanks for any help. Sorry I don't have time to read every thread about this issue--I've read dozens, and I'm still confused.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Realtek RTL8187b wireless problem finally solved or not?

Postby Husse on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:34 am

Toshiba does not play nice with Linux I think
I come to the same conclusion as you - this is undecided - works sometimes and not sometimes
Sorry for this answer, but we (I) don't have access to all conceivable hardware to test
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby gumby on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks Husse. Sorry for the delayed response by the way, I've been too busy to even check the replies. I ended up not buying that Toshiba. I bought an Emachines with a Realtek rtl8168/8111 pci-e gigabit ethernetNIC and a Broadcom 802.11g wireless card. Have no idea whether these will be okay with Linux but will find out soon when i install it.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:25 pm

The bcm43xx can probably work out of the box with Felicia - my 4312 (or 4311?) did and I did not even install the restricted driver that is included in Felicia
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Decemberdoom on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:43 pm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=604784
Apparently this guy got it working, I know this technically isn't with Linux Mint, but still worth checking out.

I'm pretty sure I saw an "official" guide somewhere on how to get the rtl8187b card working.
[url]decemberdoom.wordpress.com[/url] Check out my blog.

You know you want to.
Decemberdoom
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support