Dead laptop

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dead laptop

Postby Old Marcus on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm

I had my dad's laptop on hibernate after I left it, and when I came back to it, it wouldn't wake up. I force shut it down and tried rebooting. Now there is no response whatsoever. Power goes to the laptop, but nothin shows on the screen. Thinking it as a dead screen, I plugged it into a working monitor but the monitor claimed there was no input, leading me to think the mobo died for some reason. Is there any possible fix? I can't even get to an OS, nothing shows from the moment I turn it on to the moment I shut it down. Claiming on the warranty isn't an option, since the laptop was bought second hand from Ebay.

Any help, if possible, would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dead laptop

Postby viking777 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Put a live cd in and see what happens.

If the mobo is dead then I am sure you don't need me to tell you that on a laptop you are pretty well stuffed.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby garda on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Maybe it is just an issue with ACPI of some sort. Have you tried removing the battery for half an hour or so?

Some notebooks just do not like getting told to hibernate by Linux, and may exhibit some odd behaviour at some point.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Old Marcus on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:05 pm

It's ok, working fine now. I get the feeling it may have been an overheating problem, but things are fine now. Thanks for your help.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm

(Hail the thread Necromancer)

Anyway, Hibernate is the cause of the problem, and disconnecting the battery sorts the problem. I want a more permanent solution though. Is there a way to disable hibernation, or get it to work with the laptop? This would allow me to leave the laptop and not worry if I get sidetracked. I know I should probably put it on suspend, but I'm lazy. :P If there is any solution, advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rivenought on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Have you verified your settings in Preferences > Power Management yet? You can probably get it to stay awake, at least. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby AK Dave on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

I'd like to know if you personally verified that this laptop successfully goes into and out of hibernate before you put it on hibernate and left it for an extended period of time. It may well be, and what I suspect is, that the laptop FAILED to successfully go into hibernate and hung up in the sequence somewhere but this was unobserved.

Hibernate problems are sometimes ACPI problems, but sometimes they're swap problems. Sometimes they're the result of bad memory.
1. Did it hibernate properly in Windows?
2. Do you have adequate swap for the amount of ram installed?
3. Have you run a full memory test recently?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Old Marcus on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 am

Set it to never, so that should be fine. To answer your questions:

Yes, it does hibernate properly in Windows.
Yes, I made the swap size double the RAM, 1.4GB for about 700 mb RAM
No, I haven't.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support