PCMCIA pc card causes total freeze crash

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

PCMCIA pc card causes total freeze crash

Postby bobalice on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 am

Hi.
My issue is that whenever I insert a pcmcia pc card into the slot with the system running, the system freezes up and nothing gets it back other than powering off and back on.
If the card is already inserted during boot time, the system will freeze during boot and again powering off is the only way to restore it.
This issue is occuring with a clean installation out of the box, no changes made to any config files at all..
Recently, there have been a few methods circulating on how to use mobile broadband cards with Linux that are typically supported only with windows. Sprint released a guide for this on their website, but I have not been able to try it because of the freezing issue. The card I use is a Pantech PX-500 pcmcia pc card, with service from Sprint. I have not tried any other pcmcia cards to see if the results are different because I do not have any besides this one.

I am using Linux Mint Release 6 (felicia)
Kernel Linux 2.6.27-7-generic
gnome 2.24.1

the notebook is an acer aspire 5672. intel core duo t2300 @ 1.66ghz.
I suspect that the issue is due to a configuration problem.. some sort of conflict with usb or serial drivers maybe.. I don't really know.
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. I am somewhat new with linux so if any other info, logs, etc would be helpful just let me know how to fetch them and i'll gladly post it.
Thanks.
bobalice
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PCMCIA pc card causes total freeze crash

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:19 pm

You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (To copy from a terminal right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support