Dual Core Processor Problems

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Core Processor Problems

Postby apv507 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:09 pm

I have a dual core processor and in the system monitor both average between 20%-30% of the work load, but one runs at 81F all the time and the other runs between 131 and 149, Whats going on here? Ive used computertemp and several other applets to test this and they all come up the same.
apv507
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Core Processor Problems

Postby exploder on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:22 pm

It might be time to reapply some thermal paste to your heat sink. I doubt your operating system is causing this. Also, try blowing out the heat sink and fan with a can of compressed air.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby apv507 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Ok thanks for the tip, Its a laptop though, and while i have taken it apart i have never been able to find the processor, which ill admit is odd, becuase ive build my fair share of desktops. The computer is only 3 years old, does thermal paste have that short of a life?
apv507
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm

apv507,
The computer is only 3 years old, does thermal paste have that short of a life?

Depends on the quality of the paste, but yes it could very easily be dead. High end pastes will usually last 5+ years if not run too hot for extended periods. :-)

Follow exploder's instructions. Do a good cleaning job on the machine. You would be surprised how much air flow restriction dust and dirt build-up over 3 years will cause.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Hardware Support