[Solved] CUPS not running

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kane_of_nod

[Solved] CUPS not running

Post by kane_of_nod »

Hello people.

I have a major problem here. A friend of mine works at a political party, and he wanted to install Linux Mint at his work computer, but Mint appears not to recognize his network printer.
Its an HP Laserjet 1022n.

The problem remains in this:
CapturaEcra-Printing troubleshooter.png

Code: Select all

CUPS Service stopped

The CUPS print spooler does not appear to be running. To correct this, choose System -> Administration -> Services from the main menu and look for the 'cups' service.
Could you please help me helping him?

I tried google the thing but.. I'm afraid to get system malfunctioning...

Thanks

=)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: CUPS not running

Post by altair4 »

Open Terminal
Type sudo service cups restart
Then try to install the printer again
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kane_of_nod

Post by kane_of_nod »

Thank you, that worked.

I was just wondering if this would work too:

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d cups defaults && sudo /etc/init.d/cups start
??? I must wait for my friend to install the printer...

do you think that the installation will be fine or is there any need for drivers or other stuff, it might require ?

again, thank you ;)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm not a command line jockey but I believe that that's a compound statement.
sudo update-rc.d cups defaults
This makes sure that the startup links are set for the cups service to start at bootup. You're making the assumption that cups is not set to start at bootup. If you issue that command you'll know pretty fast if it is already set to start because you'll get a message that it already exists ( I think :wink: ).
sudo /etc/init.d/cups start
That's the same as sudo service cups start
The "service" command was invented for people like me who can no longer remember where everything is :) The full list of things you can do with the "service" command are: start, stop, restart, and status.

I had you issue a sudo service cups restart just in case cups was started, just confused.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kane_of_nod

Post by kane_of_nod »

=D

I'm not an advanced user.... I found those commands somewhere.. I know a little bit about Linux commands, but I dont know everything. I didnt know about the 'service' command. It's pretty useful. Thank you :D

now I just need to wait for my friends resolution... I hope he get everything working.. Its a political Party. He said if Linux Mint works fine, he would install it in dual-boot in a great number of party's PCs.

Thank you :)

Return to “Hardware Support”