Enabling restricted video driver

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Enabling restricted video driver

Postby xjohn on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:33 am

Hi,
I just installed the latest version of Mint but I have some problems with the video card (it is a Radeon 9600pro). First off, I had to install it from the Live CD in recovery mode because the the screen turned off after booting in normal mode. This way, I could only get 1024x768 resolution after installing (my 17" display is 1280x1024). Then, I tried to enable the proprietary video drivers from Hardware Drivers in Control Center. It installed all right so I rebooted the computer. After the splash screen, the screen started blinking and the I got an error message "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode ... (EE) fglrx(0) Unknown EDID version 0...failed to allocate CMM buffer...etc". So I ran the system in recovery mode and "tried to fix x-server". Now the screen resolution is correct (1280x1024) but the Hardware Drivers menu says that "A different version of this drivers is in use" and I still can't use the visual effects because the drivers are not activated.
Can anyone suggest how to enable these drivers without getting the error message after reboot? I am grateful for any help.
xjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Enabling restricted video driver

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:55 am

I think the 9600 is an old card, so old that you may even need to use a legacy driver
Not yet - I found that the 9600 is still there
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Here's some (Not so funny) info
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NzExOQ
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support