need help with sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rifter

need help with sound

Post by Rifter »

I posted this in newbie forum by mistake first mod feel free to del that post.

I have a new computer that skips on all my MP3 tracks, my computer is as follows:
ASUS M378-EM (AMD 780G chipset, im using onboard analog audio)
AMD Quad Core 9650
4GB DDR2 1066
1TB SATA seagate 7200.11 HD
Samsung 22X SATA DVD burner

It skips on all songs, i know it is not the files cause when i upload them to my cellphone they play fine, i can also burn a Audio CD from the files and it will play fine in my car and in linux from the audio CD. Also the same files play fine in windows(they are stored on a NTFS partition if that matters). I am using VLC as well as the stock mint player and they both skip(VLC skips less).

Upon further inspection it seems linux Mint is switching the CPU usage for VLC VERY rapidly between my first and forth core, could this be causing the skipping? Can i lock VLC to use one core only and if so how. Thanks guys, also i think the audio drivers are fine cause video files with audio play fine no lagging or skipping, also using VLC which is wierd.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rifter

Re: need help with sound

Post by Rifter »

I seem to have it under control now and i will explain what i did in the hopes it will help others having similer problems.

1st I Maxed out VLC's priority in the system monitor, this helped but did not eliminate the skipping, say 30-40& less skipping obtained.
2nd I went into VLC's Menu Tools>Preferances and cliked on the show all bullet (default was simple only) I then proceeded using the menu to go to Audio/Output modules. This menu has 4 options, i changed two of them, the ALSA Device name from Default to my onbord audio (HDA ATI SB: AC888 Analog for me)
I then changed the OSS Menu to have the only tick box ticked to turn on Try and work around buggy OSS drivers. Changing these two options eliminated the rest of the skipping and made the audio cleaner sounding.

I hope this can help someone.

Return to “Hardware Support”