Dialup Modem With Linux Mint 6

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vk1rj

Dialup Modem With Linux Mint 6

Post by vk1rj »

I am very pleased with this install of Mint (ver 6) on my Dell brand laptop. It is a model D510 ... and almost everything seems to just work!

The exception is the dial-up modem which is made by Conexant (#5423) for Dell. it is one of those dreadful Windows modems ... for which there is only limited linux support.

I tried a small linux (puppy linux from Australia) ... and puppy found a modem at /dev/ttySL0. It was able to configure the modem for dialling out. I didn't try dialling, but I think that this means the modem will work under linux.

However when I downloaded and installed gnome-ppp, under Mint ... now firmly installed on my hard drive, the program cannot find a modem at the above address. I did run it as 'root' ... because I have run into problems before trying to get dial-up running on a linux machine when you are not 'root'.

Do I need to:

buy an external/pcmcia modem and use that;

install new devices in my /dev directory ... and try again...;

find a better(?) program to run the dialling...

or is there other software I should be using to help me find the modem/begin dialup?

richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Dialup Modem With Linux Mint 6

Post by Husse »

Well, gnome-ppp is supposed to be a good application
Run lspci (in a terminal) and see if the modem is recognised (and post it)
Also check that you have not accidentally switched off some hardware switch
vk1rj

Post by vk1rj »

Thanks Husse for your help.

In part the results of the 'lspci' command are...

00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

... which seems to indicate that the kernel 'sees' the modem. However, I am at a loss to know where it mounts it! If I knew that, I could direct gnome-ppp where to look. Gnome-ppp really only wants to look in the usual places: /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS1, etc ... and from my puppylinux experiment, I found that it looked for and found a modem at /dev/ttySL0. however, just putting this value in wont work because such a device is not there! I think the real question is 'where does the kernel mount this modem??

Richard
vk1rj

Post by vk1rj »

Further information:

WinXP describes it as Conexant D110 MDC V.92 modem ...
Location PCI bus 0 device 30, function 3

mounted on Com3.

Certainly works on XP out of the box.

Richard

No access to handbook ... so cannot identify any combination of keys to turn modem off/on. In any event, if it was off, puppylinux could not find/identify or use the modem.

Any ideas people??

Richard
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

You could try the driver dell has for ubuntu.
http://support.us.dell.com/support/down ... eid=206745
Needs a restart to work i believe.
vk1rj

Post by vk1rj »

Saturday 12 noon ...

I did try and install the suggested file. This seemed to install okay. I did then reboot ... but gnome-ppp still cannot find my modem! Are there other tools for finding modems??

Richard
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Install gnome-device-manager to locate where to modem is set.

Return to “Hardware Support”