USB sound card - conflict with "normal" sound card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

USB sound card - conflict with "normal" sound card

Post by Husse »

I just bought a USB headset. I did not work until I unplugged the speakers. It's a sound card built into the motherboard. In Win XP both worked but not in Mint.
So if you don't get USB sound unplug your speakers from the ordinary sound card and see if that helps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Verbel

Re: USB sound card - conflict with "normal" sound card

Post by Verbel »

Hi
Well i have simillar problem. I normalny in winxp use external USB Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit instead of my build in intel based sound card in notebook. I have installed mint on flash drive ( nice 4gb with grub on it as well so its just plug n play to start linux ) and in Sound config I have chosen every were to be USB and my card as a mixer. But opening any file in mplayer or other ALSA choose my laptop build in s card. Only XMMS due to its overall configuration was able to switch to my external usb soundcard but then its still 2.1 not 5.1 :/ does any have idea how to make my USB soundcard as default for every player in Mint and to be 5.1 if possible??
Husse

Re: USB sound card - conflict with "normal" sound card

Post by Husse »

Hi Verbel
You've made the mistake to add your post to a rather old post. If the original poster does not check his posts it would have gone unnoticed, but my "watchful eyes" watches the forum, or at least my own posts. :) :)
For the future start a new thread to increase your chances for an answer
Not too long after my original post I managed to have sound both in my USB headset and the built in sound at the same time, but (obviously) not the same source
You have to check the settings in the programs, there is the possibility to select sound source/output in most (all?) of them. The location may vary but mostly in preferences

Return to “Hardware Support”