Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Postby Coburn64 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:27 am

Hello everyone.

I have a Optus Wireless USB Modem which is powered by a HUAWEI Mobile Connect E169 Modem, on the Optus GPRS/WCDMA/HSDPA network.

I was wondering if this modem is compatible with Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition. I tried the GPRS Connect Tool that was in the applications list, but I had no luck (it was wanting the port setting, and I didn't know what port it was using - Serial over USB, or whatever).

Could someone please tell me how to get this working? I hope to use this via Linux... I don't want to have to use Windows to browse the net when I don't have access to broadband/wifi! :P

Many thanks,
Coburn64
Coburn64
Linux Mint User (not to mention proud supporter! :P)
http://krystalgaming.net
"I'm not a Intel Inside, I'm a Penguin Inside."
Coburn64
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Postby Boo on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:10 am

here is a handy link:
http://www.greenhughes.com/content/usin ... -modem-eee
looks like manual work is needed.
if i get the time i will make and add the packages to the mint community repo.

boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rhodry on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:28 am

Coburn64 wrote:Hello everyone.

I have a Optus Wireless USB Modem which is powered by a HUAWEI Mobile Connect E169 Modem, on the Optus GPRS/WCDMA/HSDPA network.

I was wondering if this modem is compatible with Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition. I tried the GPRS Connect Tool that was in the applications list, but I had no luck (it was wanting the port setting, and I didn't know what port it was using - Serial over USB, or whatever).

Could someone please tell me how to get this working? I hope to use this via Linux... I don't want to have to use Windows to browse the net when I don't have access to broadband/wifi! :P

Many thanks,
Coburn64

The only thing I am not sure of is the XFCE question. Certainly, under standard Gnome version; both Felicia and Ubuntu Intrepid; this is now plug & play.

Plug the modem into a usb port. Simply right-click on your panel network icon and Edit Connections. Go to the Mobile Broadband tab & 'Add' a new connection. Optus 3G is one of the provider options given. Follow the wizard, reboot the machine and connect away. I have not done this in Mint yet, but I have done it a number of times in Intrepid Gnome and it works perfectly. No manual/file intervention needed.

Good luck.
Rhodry.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:41 pm

I have added the usb-modeswitch package to the mint repositories.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Hardware Support