Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Coburn64

Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Post by Coburn64 »

Hello everyone.

I have a Optus Wireless USB Modem which is powered by a HUAWEI Mobile Connect E169 Modem, on the Optus GPRS/WCDMA/HSDPA network.

I was wondering if this modem is compatible with Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition. I tried the GPRS Connect Tool that was in the applications list, but I had no luck (it was wanting the port setting, and I didn't know what port it was using - Serial over USB, or whatever).

Could someone please tell me how to get this working? I hope to use this via Linux... I don't want to have to use Windows to browse the net when I don't have access to broadband/wifi! :P

Many thanks,
Coburn64
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Optus (Australia) USB Modem Support?

Post by Boo »

here is a handy link:
http://www.greenhughes.com/content/usin ... -modem-eee
looks like manual work is needed.
if i get the time i will make and add the packages to the mint community repo.

boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

Coburn64 wrote:Hello everyone.

I have a Optus Wireless USB Modem which is powered by a HUAWEI Mobile Connect E169 Modem, on the Optus GPRS/WCDMA/HSDPA network.

I was wondering if this modem is compatible with Linux Mint 6 XFCE Edition. I tried the GPRS Connect Tool that was in the applications list, but I had no luck (it was wanting the port setting, and I didn't know what port it was using - Serial over USB, or whatever).

Could someone please tell me how to get this working? I hope to use this via Linux... I don't want to have to use Windows to browse the net when I don't have access to broadband/wifi! :P

Many thanks,
Coburn64
The only thing I am not sure of is the XFCE question. Certainly, under standard Gnome version; both Felicia and Ubuntu Intrepid; this is now plug & play.

Plug the modem into a usb port. Simply right-click on your panel network icon and Edit Connections. Go to the Mobile Broadband tab & 'Add' a new connection. Optus 3G is one of the provider options given. Follow the wizard, reboot the machine and connect away. I have not done this in Mint yet, but I have done it a number of times in Intrepid Gnome and it works perfectly. No manual/file intervention needed.

Good luck.
Rhodry.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have added the usb-modeswitch package to the mint repositories.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Hardware Support”