Internal mic not working on HP dv4 1222nr..

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Internal mic not working on HP dv4 1222nr..

Postby lefthandsuzukimethod on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:15 am

Hey everyone, after trolling these forums for a while I've decided to come out of the woodwork and become a poster!

First, let me say that after experimenting with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, openSUSE, and Mandriva, I truly think that Linux Mint is the highest quality, most user-friendly and smoothest Linux distro to date. I absolutely love it and I'm relatively sure that Clem and co. made it just for me.

With that said, I have ONE gripe that seems to be common across all the distro's i've tried, and that is the problem with my internal microphone. I have an HP dv4 1222nr notebook, and it has definitely weathered the change to Linux from Vista very well; every driver works and almost all the hardware works flawlessly. Even my webcam and internal laptop speakers work (which I got working after following the guidelines set forth here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073090&page=3). Again, the only thing I have trouble with is the internal microphone. I've opened alsamixer in terminal and unmuted every possible option, as well as gone into my sound preferences and changed all the options accordingly, yet I still get no microphone registration.

Does anyone else have this problem? It was mentioned in the aforementioned linked forum, but there were no responses or solutions put forward. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
lefthandsuzukimethod
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Internal mic not working on HP dv4 1222nr..

Postby corratecbike on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:58 am

Hi there,
I've got the same problem on my laptop Asus Z53JC. I can't get the mic (the internat one nor the line-in) whenever all the other sound/video features seems to work perfectly. I'm totally new to Linux, running Mint Felicia Main Edition. I love it so far but the mic problem is a pain in the a__.
If anybody know how to solve this, help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
corratecbike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lefthandsuzukimethod on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am

Bump.. anyone?
lefthandsuzukimethod
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Marius_py on Sat May 02, 2009 1:21 am

Hello, I have the same problem with my HP DV2120us. No sound input with the internal or an external mic

Some information about my notebook

Code: Select all
#cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17

#lspci -v
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30b2
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
   Memory at d4340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
   Capabilities: <access denied>
   Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
   Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

First of all, how did you test your mic? I go to Menu->Preferences->Sound. In the devices tab, in "Audio Conferencing" there is "Sound Capture" option. In the "Sound Capture" I have 7 options
HDA Intel CONEXANT Analog (ALSA)
HDA Intel CONEXANT Analog (OSS)
ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
OSS - Open Sound System
Pulse Audio Sound Server
Test Sound
Silence

According to what I read, you should test each option and then press the "Test" button on the right. But none of them worked.

Then I entered in the alsamixer configuration and unmuted all the option. Also without success.
 #alsamixer

Finally, I read in some forums that you should add this line to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file
options snd-hda-intel model = (Laptop Model)

I tried with "HP" and "laptop" as the "Laptop Model", but also no success. Actually I don't know where i can find the options to this field.

So, this is what I've been doing. I hope we can find the solution, because besides that problem, I think Linux Mint works perfectly.
Marius_py
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lefthandsuzukimethod on Fri May 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Sorry for such a delayed response..

First of all, how did you test your mic? I go to Menu->Preferences->Sound. In the devices tab, in "Audio Conferencing" there is "Sound Capture" option. In the "Sound Capture" I have 7 options
HDA Intel CONEXANT Analog (ALSA)
HDA Intel CONEXANT Analog (OSS)
ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
OSS - Open Sound System
Pulse Audio Sound Server
Test Sound
Silence

According to what I read, you should test each option and then press the "Test" button on the right. But none of them worked.

This is actually exactly how I tested my microphone, along with some very frustrating Skype attempts. I have yet to really find a way to fix this, and I cringe to know that to use any sort of sound input device I have to resort to my other Windows Vista box. That makes me shudder.
lefthandsuzukimethod
Level 1
Level 1

Postby peligro on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

I'm having (I think) the same problem, I think the trouble is my mic is not supported by OSS, I went to Menu>Applications>Preferences>Multimedia Systems Selector and ALSA works for Audio Output and Input, but OSS only works for Output, and then only when Firefox is closed! (It says device is being used by another application)
I don't have any problems with video (Skype can detect and display it)
It's the same deal with this Menu->Preferences->Sound business.
Yeah, so Sound Playback and Sound Capture don't work with OSS, but they do with ALSA
any tips? ALSA is fine, but it doesn't work with Skype, unfortunately
peligro
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support