M4300 keyboard issue

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

M4300 keyboard issue

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello!

I was told to post this in the hardware forum. I recently downloaded Mint Main edition and installed it on my Dell Precision M4300 beside XP. The installer turned up an error when I selected auto resizing, so I did it manually, and the install completed without problems. I then booted up, went into Firefox, typed in a URL.. wait, what? I can't type? WHAT?!? *bangs fist on keyboard* Alright, so I can't type. OK... lets do an update. So I click on mintUpdate, and... it thinks for a bit... and... AN ERROR??!? AW [expletive]! It said "Could not grab your keyboard". YOU CAN'T GRAB MY KEYBOARD? WHAT IF I GRAB IT FOR YOU???? So that's out. I go to the keyboard settings, I'm messing around, trying to get stuff to work. So I try to move the window to the side to make room for another window, and.. [another expletive]. Doesn't work. I go to right click.. WHAT?!? I CAN'T RIGHT CLICK? WHAT IS THIS, A MAC??? I reboot, go to software update before I open Firefox, and it updates happily. I reboot again, just in case. I open the web browser... [yet another expletive]. No joy. I reboot and install Opera, and again. No joy. So I figured I'd come and rack the brains of the all-powerful Mint geniuses and gurus residing on the forums. Any ideas? By the way, I've had Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu installed at one time or another and they all worked fine. Which is rather ironic, because Mint is the one I like best :)

P.S. Yes, I need an anger management class :D
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: M4300 keyboard issue

Postby ModShoot on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 pm

damn... just had an idea...

try going to the dell website and looking for linux drivers for your hardware just by chance they where not auto installed.... dont know why i never thought of that before... if you cannot find them never mind im sure someone out there can help. also if you do find them there is a good chance you will need help with the manual install (i still need help using it.) but good luck again!
ModShoot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked, and the only version of linux they had drivers for was RH Enterprise, and then there was only a BIOS and a modem driver. The other OS's were XP, XP x64, Vista, and Vista x64.
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Postby the_dudester on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Ehhh, sorry for the double post, but now I don't think Firefox has anything to do with it. I remembered that every time I had adjusted the brightness of my screen (Fn+Up/Down), right after that it stopped working. I just reaffirmed that; I had a decently long FF browsing session, then pressed Fn+Down. The text box cursor went bonkers, and I couldn't type a thing. I pressed Fn+Up, and the cursor quit being weird, but I still couldn't type anything. So... is this some kind of Fn key "feature"? Any idea how to disable it? I s'pose I could go without adjusting the brightness, but I'd like to get it fixed.
the_dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support