Unable to mount volume

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Unable to mount volume

Postby dharris on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Okay, before you look at this as just another newbie who can't figure out who to mount volumes, this one is a little different in that I did something a little more stupid than the regular newbie:

I connected my Insignia Sport and mounted the volume (automagically by Mint) I decided that I didn't like the name it mounted it as "Insignia_SP" and so I proceeded to the properties and changed the mountpoint/settings and closed. Now I can't mount the device. Mint sees it and tells me I can't mount it. GParted sees it and reports the info on it.

What do I do to fix?

Thanks in advance...
dharris
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to mount volume

Postby Husse on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:34 am

so I proceeded to the properties and changed the mountpoint/settings and closed. Now I can't mount the device. Mint sees it and tells me I can't mount it. GParted sees it and reports the info on it.

And you think it's possible to help you based on that?
What exactly did you change?
To what did you change it?
What is the exact error message you get?
Can you mount it from Gparted?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unable to mount volume

Postby slider on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:25 am

Here is something that you might try. Make sure that the device in question is NOT connected. Also be very careful in this file and dont make any changes other than the ones that are mentioned. Also note that were I used the word "kate" you may use whatever text editor that your system has here. You will need to enter your password when it asks you to.

With that said open a terminal and type:
Code: Select all
sudo kate /etc/fstab

When the file comes up read it very carefully and see if you can find the name of the device that you changed the name of. If you do just comment it out for now (dont delete it yet) which will make that entry invisible to the system. Save and close the file. Then you SHOULD and I say should be able to see and mount the device when it is connected. I dont believe that you will need to reboot but try that secondly.

In case you are unaware to comment out an item means to add a pounds sign at the beginning of the line that you want to be invisible to the system.

Example:
Code: Select all
# the line would look like this

Remember the # must be at the beginning of the line. Maximize the window if needed to see the lines due to word wrap.

Hope this helps. Let us know..................
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support