external cd drive and installing

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

external cd drive and installing

Postby caris_mere on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:10 am

I bought an cheap Toshiba Satellite A60 Laptop about 4 years ago. Since then the cd drive has ceased functioning. The bios doesn't allow for booting from a usb stick. Only from a network, cd drive and floppy disk drive. If I plug in an external cd drive, should it be able to boot from this? I haven't bought one and I don't know anybody who has one, or I'd try it. I thought someone might know, before I go out and waste my money on one.

Thanks for you help. If I haven't given enough info about the laptop, I can write more another day, when I can get the info.
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: external cd drive and installing

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:04 am

NO!
With 99.9 % certainty you can't
But in my desktop I have the option to boot from a USB CD but not a USB pen drive so never say never
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: external cd drive and installing

Postby lexon on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:37 pm

A couple years ago I bought something from ebay that allows me to use a CD drive or IDE hard drive with my Asus netbook. It consist of a power supply for the drive and an IDE to USB connector. Works very well. I only use it for transferring files.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support