[Solved]Resolution Issues

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[Solved]Resolution Issues

Postby CentiZen on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Okay, I'm having a bit of an issue with my screen resolution here.

My graphics card is an integrated Intel Media Accelerator Express 4 Family. It's actually not a bad card considering that it is integrated, it can play some decent games (halo 2, F.E.A.R, Far Cry...), so it's no slouch. But it dosen't seem to play well with mint.

My native screen resolution in windows is 1280x1024, with a refresh rate of 60hz. However, this is not the case with Mint, I am only getting 1024x768 and 30hz.

I am not sure what to do, any insight would be appreciated

thanks

[edit]

Solved the problem, I hadn't used the detect displays command, as soon as I did it picked it up and now it works fine. Thanks to the IRC room.
CentiZen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [Solved]Resolution Issues

Postby v_andal on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:30 am

Hm. I have similar problem, but I can't solve it by using "Detect displays". According to lspci I have

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

No matter what I try, my resolution is 1024x768, though under Windows I run 1680x1050.

Somehow I don't understand the "Monitor Resolution Settings" dialog. The Help button does not work (no help displayed and no message explaining the reason). There's option at the top "Mirror screens" that is checked and option at the bottom "Show displays in panel" which is not checked. What both of them mean is hard to guess :D

While playing with this dialog I've gotten the system to unusable state couple of times and had to restore xorg.conf :roll:

I suspect, this problem has something to do with TVout feature, but I have no idea how TVout is supported/disabled in Xorg. Any help?
v_andal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved]Resolution Issues

Postby v_andal on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am

Yep, my suspicion was correct. For some reason, the driver believed that I have 2 monitors connected :!: Googling pointed me to command xrandr. Using this command I've disabled the fake laptop screen with low resolution and then the driver allowed me to get higher resolution for my monitor. Exact command was

xrandr --output LVDS --off
v_andal
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support