Help troubleshooting mouse

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help troubleshooting mouse

Postby fenny on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:01 pm

HI. I recently converted from Ubuntu to Linux Mint and have one main issue. If anyone can give me some tips it would be appreciated.

I have an intermittent problem in all applications that I think is related to the mouse. Every few hours or less (lasting for about a minute), I have problems grasping onto the vertical scroll bar and problems clicking certain action buttons (e.g. the back button in nautilus and the apply button in synaptic). When I move the mouse certain items also flicker (like it is being actively focused on) such that I am unable to select other items.

I've reinstalled synaptic and have checked the system log files but do not get any concurrent errors with the problem happens.

I'm not sure if the problems are explained clearly enough but any help would be nice.

Thanks.
Fenny

System: 2.4GHz Intel, ASUS Motherboard, Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard and Mouse (on USB and PS), Linux Mint 6.
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help troubleshooting mouse

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:13 am

You've described your problem well, but this is a problem that is impossible to solve in most cases
The next time it happens immediately run
Code: Select all
dmesg | tail

and look in the logs (System logs in the menu)
This may reveal something
To me this looks like a motherboard error in the super IO (or whatever that motherboard has)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby fenny on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 am

Thanks for the feedback. I don't seem to get concurrent errors in the system log. I find this odd because I didn't have this problem with ubuntu 8.10. I might try temporarily replacing the keyboard and mouse to see if it continues.
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 am

I might try temporarily replacing the keyboard and mouse to see if it continues.

A good idea - the fact that you say it seems like the mouse is clicking when you are not is not a good sign
Could be the motherboard or the mouse....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support