Won't let me delete mp3s off of my mp3 player SOLVED

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Won't let me delete mp3s off of my mp3 player SOLVED

Postby mscatamaran on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm

i have a SPI mp3 player (real cheapy but I dont need a lot of extras on my mp3 player)... Anyway, I'm trying to delete the 20 songs I have on there and it keeps saying this: Error While Deleting. Error removing file: Read-only file system

how do i fix this?
Last edited by mscatamaran on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mscatamaran
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Won't let me delete mp3s off of my mp3 player

Postby slider on Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am

mscatamaran wrote:i have a SPI mp3 player (real cheapy but I dont need a lot of extras on my mp3 player)... Anyway, I'm trying to delete the 20 songs I have on there and it keeps saying this: Error While Deleting. Error removing file: Read-only file system

how do i fix this?

We really could use a lot more info on your system for as what Linux Mint version you are using, however I'll try and help you anyway ok.

Most USB mounted mp3 players, thumbdrives, etc are seen as disk volume, and when they are plugged in the system detects them and a window opens up giving you some choices of what you can do. The volume icon may also be double clicked to mount the device as well.

The error "Error removing file: Read-only file system" is usually (not always) caused by the device being removed from the system without being "unmounted" first. Right click on the device icon and choose "unmount" before physically removing it from the system.

You can try this command in a terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo mount -o remount,rw /media/disk
*although you may have to modify the command in the part where it says "media/disk" to match your device-volume name.

The support site for your mp3 player can be found here: http://www.techsupportspi.com/mp3playersupport.html

Hope this helps you some....
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support