[SOLVED] ati driver uninstall

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] ati driver uninstall

Postby fenny on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 pm

need help fixing my stupidity. i am unable to run the uninstall script because i cannot get a command prompt.

i was playing around with installing the ati driver for my 9250 card (mesa driver was ok but ...). after running an ati auto-install from the amd web site, reboot resulted in a failed install (garbage graphics and doesn't get to login screen).

i tried to fixing this by:
- recovery mode: xorg fix doesn't work and root fix not possible without sudo password
- recovery mode: ALT+CTRL+F2 not working
- rewrote xorg.conf from alternate linux install: xorg.conf gets overwritten upon reboot
- fglrx driver disabled in file /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common gets overwritten upon reboot

any suggestions to help recover my install without a complete reinstall would be appreciated.

fenny

edit: bit of a kludge but i changed gdm to unexecutable to prevent it from starting the xserver then ran the uninstall script. still wondering if the root login in the recovery menu can be accessed through sudo though.
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [SOLVED] ati driver uninstall

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 am

You can set a root password in mintAssistant
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] ati driver uninstall

Postby fenny on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 pm

thanks but i didn't want to do that. i just found it odd that it seems a conflict between su and sudo for the recovery mode.
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support