Video with Asus M2N4

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Video with Asus M2N4

Postby jibe on Tue May 08, 2007 5:07 am

Hi,

I just got an Asus M2N4 motherboard (with Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor and 512 Go Ram) and installed Linux Mint. But I cannot read any video file or DVD. I tried with Totem, GXine, VLC and MPlayer, and the result is always the same : seems that it will start (the display window opens, the very first image - when it's not all black ! - appears and I can hear the sound begin, but immediately the window closes...

I tried with several commercial video-DVDs, MPEG and AVI files. Same result for all !

I already installed several Linux Mint on several computers, and never had this problem... I don't think that I made a mistake somewhere (but who could be very very sure ?). Could it be a hardware incompatibility ? Is there a way to have videos working well ?

Thanks.
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Tue May 08, 2007 8:32 am

ok but what video card are you using?

the m2n4-SLI does not have onboard video.

if it is an nvidia or ati card have you run envy to apply the best video drivers?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby jibe on Tue May 08, 2007 11:04 am

Boo wrote:ok but what video card are you using?

Argh ! I was afraid of that :lol:

I use a SIS 6326 :oops:
It's an old PCI (not PCI Express :? ) video card I had, and I would like to use it waiting to buy a good all-in-one tuner+video card...

Do you think that the problem could be with it ? Seems to work well for office applications (but it's true that it's not needing special qualities)...

I'll try to see if I can find a driver for it... As it seemed work, I didn't install any...
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support