Linux Mint 7 (hardware support)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 7 (hardware support)

Postby g.va.io on Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 am

Hello there,
Recently, i installed Ubuntu9.04 in my hp dv3560, but i had problem with my speakers,
I have Intel ICH9 system and this problem i was having in openSuse 11.1,openSolaris, Sabayon 4.1, and more....But now i have Linux Mint 6 and i don't have any problem with speaker.
I consider if i will have the same problem which i had in Ubuntu9.04,in the next Linux mint 7.

Last i have extra problem which it is not important like above problem. I have problem with brightness (I have Nvidia 9300) and problem with fingerprint sensor.
I am asking the development of Linux mint if could be include more support (than Ubuntu 9.04)of new laptops in linux mint 7 .
Thank you.(sorry for my bad english).
g.va.io
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 (hardware support)

Postby Husse on Sun May 03, 2009 6:46 am

We are based on Ubuntu and use the Ubuntu kernel, which limits our options
And even more - new version of the kernel give similar problems all over - like the problem with Intel graphics in Jaunty which can be found in Debian too
We do some things that makes hardware work better but it's mainly the kernel that's responsible for that
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 7 (hardware support)

Postby wobf58 on Mon May 11, 2009 11:53 am

I just got a new laptop, DELL E6500 and pretty much everything is working just fine. The speakers are working but I dont get them as loud as with windows. But that is the same with every other distribution. But now I got some USB speakers from Logitech. In Windows they are working just fine. How I get them to work with Linux? Any ideas???
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support