Acer Aspire One Problems

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Acer Aspire One Problems

Postby mudkicker78 on Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi, I have an Acer Netbook I just recently put Mint 6 Fluxbox on my Aspire One Netbook, (AOD 150-1165 160GB HDD, Intel Atom operating @ 1.6ghz, 1GB system memory,
Intel graphics and Atheros Wireless Chipset along with a Lite On Crystal Webcam). I must say when configured right with black theme on the windows this netbook looks great with Mint6 on it, It runs fast too, very light OS, But I don't think I will try the new KDE desktop there gonna put out in the near future. I'm not sure if it is a bigger system w/ KDE.
I am having 2 problems, both major, and one dumb problem.
1st Major problem: It says my Atheros 802.11 is installed and running properly, but I can't switch it to wireless!

2nd Major Problem: My videos won't play in the right aspect ratio, My netbook has the 8.9" screen but I think it is running at 1440x900

...And one dumb problem, how do I set up the webcam to work.

These are the known problems on this netbook, I wish I was more computer literate but I am not. With how fast this OS runs on this netbook ,I don't want to swap it out, I know UBUNTU 8.1 and 7.4 didn't work on this when I tried, only 2 options left would be putting windows back in, or going to PCLinuxOS2009, But Mint is a way better system, Can anyone help remedy this?
mudkicker78
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Aspire One Problems

Postby Dupoint on Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 am

:(
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dupoint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ythe1300 on Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am

Hey I use the Gnome version on my netbook, and I have none of the issues you are having.
( the only one that I have is that there has to be a card in the card reader on boot for it to see it)

That being said, I am using the windows drivers for the wireless because I had a lot of trouble with the linux ones. (even the light works).

The webcam works for me but I have only used it in skype and cheese.
ythe1300
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mudkicker78 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 am

To the first Reply, I wonder why it works out of the box like that, that means there is a fix I would imagine, Mint6 is based on Ubuntu, I see theres Puppy Linux for Acer too. But I was hoping to have Mint on 2 systems(The first system was a test for using it on my Netbook, It is a 6400NX with 768MB Ram and 1.6ghz AMD Athlon 1800+ with a Radion 256MB video added...benchmark test, Linux on that one is faster than my Windows Vista computer running 2GB system memory and a dual core proccessor-simply put I hope to work the bugs out of Mint.
tTo the second poster, How do you get the windows driver to install! I never heard of this and might wanna try this with the webcam and video drivers, Especially the video card
the resolution is just right but when a video plays it gets squashed into the wrong resolution.

Your suggestions are very helpful thanx
mudkicker78
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support