Acer Aspire One Problems

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Acer Aspire One Problems

Postby mudkicker78 on Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi, I have an Acer Netbook I just recently put Mint 6 Fluxbox on my Aspire One Netbook, (AOD 150-1165 160GB HDD, Intel Atom operating @ 1.6ghz, 1GB system memory,
Intel graphics and Atheros Wireless Chipset along with a Lite On Crystal Webcam). I must say when configured right with black theme on the windows this netbook looks great with Mint6 on it, It runs fast too, very light OS, But I don't think I will try the new KDE desktop there gonna put out in the near future. I'm not sure if it is a bigger system w/ KDE.
I am having 2 problems, both major, and one dumb problem.
1st Major problem: It says my Atheros 802.11 is installed and running properly, but I can't switch it to wireless!

2nd Major Problem: My videos won't play in the right aspect ratio, My netbook has the 8.9" screen but I think it is running at 1440x900

...And one dumb problem, how do I set up the webcam to work.

These are the known problems on this netbook, I wish I was more computer literate but I am not. With how fast this OS runs on this netbook ,I don't want to swap it out, I know UBUNTU 8.1 and 7.4 didn't work on this when I tried, only 2 options left would be putting windows back in, or going to PCLinuxOS2009, But Mint is a way better system, Can anyone help remedy this?
mudkicker78
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Aspire One Problems

Postby Dupoint on Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 am

:(
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dupoint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ythe1300 on Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am

Hey I use the Gnome version on my netbook, and I have none of the issues you are having.
( the only one that I have is that there has to be a card in the card reader on boot for it to see it)

That being said, I am using the windows drivers for the wireless because I had a lot of trouble with the linux ones. (even the light works).

The webcam works for me but I have only used it in skype and cheese.
ythe1300
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mudkicker78 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 am

To the first Reply, I wonder why it works out of the box like that, that means there is a fix I would imagine, Mint6 is based on Ubuntu, I see theres Puppy Linux for Acer too. But I was hoping to have Mint on 2 systems(The first system was a test for using it on my Netbook, It is a 6400NX with 768MB Ram and 1.6ghz AMD Athlon 1800+ with a Radion 256MB video added...benchmark test, Linux on that one is faster than my Windows Vista computer running 2GB system memory and a dual core proccessor-simply put I hope to work the bugs out of Mint.
tTo the second poster, How do you get the windows driver to install! I never heard of this and might wanna try this with the webcam and video drivers, Especially the video card
the resolution is just right but when a video plays it gets squashed into the wrong resolution.

Your suggestions are very helpful thanx
mudkicker78
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support