Modems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vlovjz

Modems

Post by vlovjz »

I'm considering making my parent's computer a dual-boot machine running Linux and Windows for security reasons. But the problem with doing that is, as I'm sure some of you know, Linux's support for winmodems is very poor. And unfortunately, that's all they have, since they're not upgrading their connection.

Anyway, I'm considering purchasing an external modem so they can browse the internet with Linux and not have to worry about viruses and other malware, but I don't know where to start. Any tips on what to look for? Can I just grab a USB modem off Ebay and expect it to work?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Modems

Post by nick »

Hi

With usb modems it is best to check before you buy one
Hayes usb are still winmodems.

If you have a serial port practically any modem will
work - except possibly Hayes

Nick
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Modems

Post by rivenathos »

I have seen some really good reviews of the U.S. Robotics USR5637 56Kbps USB High-performance V.92 modem, but it appears to have just been discontinued in the past couple of weeks. There may still be some in stores or online.

Edit: I did find it in stock... http://www.amazon.com/56K-USB-Modem-Win ... 299&sr=8-1
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Hardware Support”