HP Photosmart C5280 Scanner Not Working with Mint 6 (Solved)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HP Photosmart C5280 Scanner Not Working with Mint 6 (Solved)

Postby Pad on Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi guys. I am a complete noob to Linux and this forum. Hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a HP Photosmart C5280 all in one USB printer, copier, scanner. The printer works as does the copier, but I have run into a brick wall with the scanner. I have searched this forum for answers as well as the HP Linux site, but can't seem to find a solution.

If I try to open the Scanner Utility I get a message saying "The scan backend returned the following error: Device busy". When I close that error message I get another saying "No devices found. Please ensure your device is properly plugged, on and configured".

I am running Mint 6 and as far as I can tell I have the latest HPLIP drivers installed. While researching the problem I have seen a lot of references to Sane and Xsane, but I dont really understand what that is all about. Also, I have zero knowledge of working with and configuring stuff with the Terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Pad on Mon May 11, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HP Photosmart C5280 Scanner Not Working with Mint 6

Postby rlindsey0 on Thu May 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I have that same unit, and it works fine for me with Mint 5 and 6. I did have a problem with scanning at first, but I've forgotten the details. What I know works for me now is this: install XSane, then control the scanning function from within that (I don't think scanning works if you try to scan using the buttons on the HP itself--though copying does--but I'm not in front of my home unit to check). Basically, it's as easy as making sure the printer/copier/scanner was on, opening XSane, setting the type of file and save location, and clicking. When you see the image come up for review after the scan has been done, don't forget to click Save.

XSane should be available from within mintInstall, or if it's not, through the Synaptic Package Manager. You don't need the Terminal to install it, or to work it, and you don't need to compile anything.

If the 5280 still doesn't scan after you've got XSane up and running, I'm afraid you'll need someone more expert than I. Fortunately, there's no shortage of such people on this forum. :wink:
Last edited by rlindsey0 on Thu May 07, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivia 15 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 7 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, USB 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu May 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Open package manager and type "xsane" in the search box. Mark xsane for installation and click install for the dependencies list that will come up. Click on the green check mark and xsane will be installed on your system.

Now that it is installed, what is it? Xsane and sane are GUI frontends for the Mint scanner utility. Xsane is for image scanners and provides scanner support to gimp. Sane includes an image scanner frontend (similar to xsane), support for scanners with automatic document feed, and support for continuous camera feeds. A third option is "quiteinsane" - "a QT based X11 frontend for sane".

By the way sane stands for Scanner Access now Easy.

EDIT
I see rlindsey0 beat me by mere seconds. He's right on with his advice including the part about some one more knowledgeable helping farther if needed. Unfortunately, I'm not him. I know enough to set up my HP 4480 but that's about all.
Xsane is available in mintInstall under graphics. It's easier than using synaptic.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby lexon on Thu May 07, 2009 3:37 pm

I checked this one site but did not see your machine.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... ScannersHp

I use Mint 6 and scan with a Canon Lide 20 and a HP2210 Deskjet all in one machine. I use the default Mint 6 Scanner Utility, or Xsane. I installed Xsane using the Package Manager in Mint. Real easy.

Your HP machine is no doubt more sophisticated than mine. You might check the Ubuntu forums also since Mint is based on Ubuntu 8.10.
I had to download something when I use Ubuntu 8.04 for scanners but cannot remember what.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Pad on Mon May 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Many thanks guys. Was away for a few days. Got back and found your suggestions. Installed Xsane and Hey Presto, my scanner now works. :D

Thank you all so much I had spent hours on this and feared I wouldn't be able to get it to work.
Pad
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support