ATI 4870x2 flashing colours on boot up mint 7 RC1

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JonnyRock

ATI 4870x2 flashing colours on boot up mint 7 RC1

Post by JonnyRock »

I can not get mint 7 to work with my ATI 4870x2 using either the recommended drivers ( installed from Hardware Drivers) or by installing drivers downloaded form AMD.

after the drvier installation and reboot all i get it flashing colours on the screen and can do nothing.

anyone have the same problem :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cyborgmuppet

Re: ATI 4870x2 flashing colours on boot up mint 7 RC1

Post by Cyborgmuppet »

I just got 2x ATI 4870x2 cards to work in mint 7 (64 bit) with quad crossfire enabled.

However i got the flashing colors problem and crashed so I had to reinstall when I enabled the FGLRX using the "hardware drivers GUI/Tool" in the administration menu.

Here is what I did:

Installed Linux mint 7 and updated it.

Downloaded the ati-driver-installer-9-9-x86.x86_64.run from the AMD website
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

Placed it in my home folder.
opened my home folder as root in the file browser (simply go to your home folder and then select open as root in the file menu)
ran the driver and it installed.

Then I opened terminal and ran these commands:
# aticonfig --lsa
(listed my adapters)
# aticonfig --adapter=0,1,2,3 --cfa
Then I restarted computer.

Opened terminal again, became root again and ran:
# aticonfig --adapter=0 --crossfire=on
And I restarted again.

Now its up and running with full 3d without any problems.
if you read the "aticonfig --help" you get more options to check your adapters and your crossfire chains and if they are enabled. note that the GUI in the applications menu wount display anything but the crossfire is there and enabled if it say so in the terminal.

For additional info (in case you get trouble with install or configuring) go to the AMD website (the one I mentioned above) and read install instructions.
And for configuring crossfire this site might be of help:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... inux&num=1

Also a notice for mint 6 users:
I had some problems installing back then too but I dont remeber exactly how I fixed it.. however I have a hint:
It included defining one adapter as default in xorg.config or might have been a different file. as the driver was not the problem back then but rather getting the system to understand the concept of several dislay adapters. I just remegber I messed around with a file Xsomething and that I had to figure out the bus ID for the first adapter so I could find it and define it.
Do a google search as I dont remember where I got the tip. maby the ubuntu forums.

Anyways Hope this Info is of help to people even the post is from may and its october now. =)

Return to “Hardware Support”